Road Bicycles for Sheffield and its 7 hills!

I'm thinking of getting in on the act with the government scheme of discounted road bikes to commute to/from work and football training.

I live at the top of Rutland Rd, so my commutes will involve cycling up Rutland/Barnsley/Herries Rd depending on where I need to be.

My questions are

1) Can anyone recommend a good road bike with low gears that will lend itself well to the hills that I'll have to climb on it? I'm not a pro-athlete and the hills will take some getting used to!

2) Realistically, how many months of the year are they useable for as the main commute vehicle for a 2/3 mile commute? I work shifts so I could be riding anytime between 6am and 11pm and I'm worried it will be a waste of money in the winter months as I pay for the bike AND lots of bus tickets!

I can't advise re type of bike as my son is at present cycling in the Pyrenees but when here he cycles all year round . Snow ,ice rain are not a barrier to him .I suppose it does part depend on how proficient you are at cycling .He has cycled from here to Sicily and to the Pyrenees on his Dawes road bike .He has knowledge of bike maintenance which of course is a great help .My other 2 sons also cycle ,I think the correct tyres are very important for the seasons .

Good luck and safe cycling !

I used to cycle in all weathers, even in the snow once, so it is possible to cycle all year round. I don't have a car, and at times I could not afford the bus fare, so I had no other choice, apart from walking (which I did occasionally) You can get ice tyres if you are that determined :) My commute was 2.6 miles each way, riding upFox Hill Road on the way home. I have a hardtail mountain bike though, not a road bike.

I now live 10 miles from work, and I have become very lazy recently, I am now a fair weather cyclist :(

The hills will make you fitter, and are a good gauge of your progress, feeling it getting easier/faster.

If you are riding at night, make sure you have 2 good lights each front and back (in case one fails).

Edited by Isabelle

Perfectly possible to commute every day by bike...i do, on a road bike, unless its snowing.

You dont mention your budget, but decathlon have some decent bikes at reasonable prices. Get something with a triple chainset. Dont get a mountain bike. Get a road bike.

Depending on your height, as it's a large frame, this is a good price

http://www.towsure.com/vitesse-swift-alloy-road-bike-21-speed-56cm-22

Downside, the stem shifters aren't to everyone's taste although about £40 would convert it to a flat bar road bike which is possibly better for commuting

If you want STI road levers and wide range gearing (triple chainset) the Triban 3 from Decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-300-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

is pretty well rated as an entry level commuter / winter trainer / general purpose ride

I'm thinking of getting in on the act with the government scheme of discounted road bikes to commute to/from work and football training.

I live at the top of Rutland Rd, so my commutes will involve cycling up Rutland/Barnsley/Herries Rd depending on where I need to be.

My questions are

1) Can anyone recommend a good road bike with low gears that will lend itself well to the hills that I'll have to climb on it? I'm not a pro-athlete and the hills will take some getting used to!

2) Realistically, how many months of the year are they useable for as the main commute vehicle for a 2/3 mile commute? I work shifts so I could be riding anytime between 6am and 11pm and I'm worried it will be a waste of money in the winter months as I pay for the bike AND lots of bus tickets!

If you don't mind the cold, get some waterproofs and good lights and you can use it most days.

If you don't mind the cold, get some waterproofs and good lights and you can use it most days.

^

You might try looking at something not quite pure road, like a cyclocross bike or a touring bike for all-weather commuting. Still a world away from the energy sap of a mountain bike but a bit more suited to most weathers. Something with say 700 x 32 tyres is a good balance

As above, waterproofs (and keep an eye on Aldi for their waterproof overshoes that are a godsend in standing water) and good gloves - a buff / neck gaiter, and you're pretty set up for what is a short-ish commute

^

You might try looking at something not quite pure road, like a cyclocross bike or a touring bike for all-weather commuting. Still a world away from the energy sap of a mountain bike but a bit more suited to most weathers. Something with say 700 x 32 tyres is a good balance

As above, waterproofs (and keep an eye on Aldi for their waterproof overshoes that are a godsend in standing water) and good gloves - a buff / neck gaiter, and you're pretty set up for what is a short-ish commute

I got a cyclocross bike for the winter a couple of years ago. The wide treaded tires lasted about a week before they were swapped for some 25mm ones. I think that treaded winter tires offer a false confidence, just accept that the roads are slippery in the winter and cycle accordingly.

The disc brakes on the bike makes the winter commute 100 times safer though, and I couldn't imagine commuting through the winter without them.

I would suggest that if someone is starting out, and they need to climb a decent hill on their commute then maybe a hard tail mountain bike is best. It's versatile, it will last without too much maintenance and it's gears will help to climb any hills, as long as your happy to take your time and sit and "spin" the peddles instead of grinding your way to the top.

Edited by JFKvsNixon