EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Hello all. Glad to see that the majority of Sheffield Forum users are sensible enough to vote out (by the looks of this poll). I really cannot understand how someone would want to stay in the EU and be dictated to by unelected beaurocrats in Brussels (and the Germans). I voted out 1st thing this morning with great pride. I have been looking forward to an opportunity to cast my vote for years. I really do hope that we leave the failing EU as soon as possible. If we do not leave, our children will despise us, and ask us why we did not take this (probably last) chance. Cheers.

:thumbsup:

Hello all. Glad to see that the majority of Sheffield Forum users are sensible enough to vote out (by the looks of this poll). I really cannot understand how someone would want to stay in the EU and be dictated to by unelected beaurocrats in Brussels (and the Germans). I voted out 1st thing this morning with great pride. I have been looking forward to an opportunity to cast my vote for years. I really do hope that we leave the failing EU as soon as possible. If we do not leave, our children will despise us, and ask us why we did not take this (probably last) chance. Cheers.

Au contraire, your children will be wondering why you decided to limit their opportunities in life.

:clap::clap::clap:

Guest sibon
If we do not leave, our children will despise us, and ask us why we did not take this (probably last) chance. Cheers.

My children have told me that they will never speak to me again if I vote out.

They want the freedom and the opportunities, you see.

Financial markets getting worried maybe? They were the only ones to conduct exit polls for themselves.

This is a graph of how many dollars a pound can get you (high implies remain, low implies leave)

http://i.imgur.com/xH7lTbS.png

Its still in the positive for the day but falling. Maybe low turn out numbers with pictures like these coming in.

S.C Part 1, para 2,3

You know the bits where they say that.

You either have appalling reading comprehension or are just being deliberately obtuse again.

That is simply describing the current situation. Paragraphs 4 & 5 clarify that Cameron's agreement is compatible with the existing treaties.

You are reading something that isn't there.

Just clearly explain what you think the problem is with paragraphs 2 & 3.

That would explain it. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that. I obviously have a different viewpoint on the referendum but I'm genuinely sorry you couldn't take part. The more people who vote the better IMO, no matter what their choice is.

Sorry to hear that. I obviously have a different viewpoint on the referendum but I'm genuinely sorry you couldn't take part. The more people who vote the better IMO, no matter what their choice is.

Well said.

http://www.politico.eu/article/full-text-of-deal-changing-britain-eu-membership-brexit-referendum/

Theres the document. Make up your own minds on Section C. It's as plain as legalese ever gets that it is worthless to anyone who can actually read.

S.C Part 1, para 2,3

You know the bits where they say that.

You either have appalling reading comprehension or are just being deliberately obtuse again.

Section C, Art.1, paras 1 to 3:

1. It is recognised that the United Kingdom, in the light of the specific situation it has under the Treaties, is not committed to further political integration into the European Union. The substance of this will be incorporated into the Treaties at the time of their next revision in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Treaties and the respective constitutional requirements of the Member States, so as to make it clear that the references to ever closer union do not apply to the United Kingdom.

The references in the Treaties and their preambles to the process of creating an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe do not offer a legal basis for extending the scope of any provision of the Treaties or of EU secondary legislation. They should not be used either to support an extensive interpretation of the competences of the Union or of the powers of its institutions as set out in the Treaties.

These references do not alter the limits of Union competence governed by the principle of conferral, or the use of Union competence governed by the principles of subsidiarity and proportionality. They do not require that further competences be conferred upon the European Union or that the European Union must exercise its existing competences, or that competences conferred on the Union could not be reduced and thereby returned to the Member States.

And overleaf, following 2 paras:
The competences conferred by the Member States on the Union can be modified, whether to increase or reduce them, only through a revision of the Treaties with the agreement of all Member States. The Treaties already contain specific provisions whereby some Member States are entitled not to take part in or are exempted from the application of certain provisions of Union law. The references to an ever closer union among the peoples are therefore compatible with different paths of integration being available for different Member States and do not compel all Member States to aim for a common destination.

The Treaties allow an evolution towards a deeper degree of integration among the Member States that share such a vision of their common future, without this applying to other Member States.

So, in standard speak,
  • para 1: the UK does not go into ever close union, and the next Treaty iteration will incorporate that in black and white.
  • para 2: ever closer union is not a legally binding principle under which Treaty or Directives ('secondary legislation') can be extended in scope.
  • para 3: ever closer union is not a legally binding principle under which new EU competences can be drawn, or existing EU competences expanded or withdrawn (where such competences are conferred by Treaty in the first place)
  • para 4: expands on (3) by reminding that competences only arise under Treaty with the consent of all EU member states, and on (1) by stating that it is permissible for EU member states to make their own way at their own speed.
  • para 5: those EU member states who want closer union can go for it without bothering those EU member states who don't.

Where's the controversy here? :huh:

Edited by L00b

I think they changed the registration system to per person from per house, and to do that everyone had to re-register at some point?

i didn't re register just got a card as usual, did you get a voting card

According to the spiel at the bottom of the homepage this forum has over 188,000 members of those 524 have expressed an opinion if those percentages are reflected locally or nationally it would frankly be astonishing.my thirteen year old daughters school did a mock referendum the result was 35/65 to stay whilst this again cannot be taken as how the vote will go it shows me that the next generations may not be as sceptical about the European Union as uou seem to think they are.cheers

Maybe you dont understand because you dont know anything about it beyond rumour and made up myths.