Motor Vehicle databases,are they reliable?

Sorry Geared you've got things wrong yet again.Whilst your comments do apply to road tax, rest assured if your insurance company hasn't put your car details on the database, and you can't prove to the police you are insured,your car will be impounded.Ringing the DVLA will not help.This effectively means that in most cases if you are stopped after 6pm or on a Sunday,you will not be able to contact your insurance company to prove you are insured.(I know some companies open longer hours)Similar contact hours will be available for the DVLA so the same thing applies.The sensible thing to do is to tax the car at a post office and carry your receipt,also carry your insurance certificate.However if you have just changed your vehicle it can take a couple of weeks for the documents to arrive, and this is what causes the problems.

I get my covernote emailed to me and print it out, they also send me my docs through the post so until they arrive i just use my printed document should i ever be stopped.

They normally do there best to confirm if insurance exists first (from the ones I've seen on TV). I wouldn't assume that what we see on camera is really representative though.

They should have to reimburse the driver when they've been shown to have incorrectly seized the car though. Perhaps that would make them less keen.

I had this before I left the UK in 2009.

I had insured, taxed and MOT'd my car the day it all ran out.. all online. Was travelling to work the next morning and got pinged on an ANPR. The cops thought they had a trifector and I ended up having an argument with both of them. Fortunately the cops made a fool of themselves, ( couldnt count.. yes, I had a cop counting on his fingers because he was trying to prove a point and was wrong ) and they let me go with a producer. At the end of it all he confirmed it takes a couple of days for their database to be updated.

Dont know if this has changed in the years that have gone by, but I would like to think it has!

Edited by stimpy

Watchdog did a piece on it last year. In some cases it can take upto six weeks to appear on the database if there's a backlog.

Watchdog did a piece on it last year. In some cases it can take upto six weeks to appear on the database if there's a backlog.

I can only speak from my experience but the most I've had to wait to see any of my cars on MID is 2 days..

I would imagine, It's not even enough to carry your insurance documents around with you, as in days gone by, it was fairly common to insure a car by paying the first payment, to enable you to go and tax it...and then people would cancel the insurance, or simply not pay...

Also these days, it's all too easy to 'doctor' a certificate of insurance....Especially on a computer, as most of them these days are emailed.

But with ANPR these days, and being reliant on a database being 'bang' up to date...Unless it's updated automatically as soon as you pay (Tax or insurance) then mistakes are going to happen and we're at the sharp end of it all....:(

You also don't technically need insurance either - a lot of large companies don't have it and have a bond deposited instead. Not soemthing the average punter can do now though.

you need to deposit £500,000 with the courts

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/144

the amount may have gone up, but I can't find any reference to say that it has,

you need to deposit £500,000 with the courts

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/144

the amount may have gone up, but I can't find any reference to say that it has,

There was a TV program on a while ago where some rich young middle eastern lads were driving around London in their supercars, their parents had made use of the deposit scheme, but it didn't stop them getting their car impounded regularly due to it not appearing on the database.

There was a TV program on a while ago where some rich young middle eastern lads were driving around London in their supercars, their parents had made use of the deposit scheme, but it didn't stop them getting their car impounded regularly due to it not appearing on the database.

that's always a risk though you would think they could add those to the database too

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Will let you know about tax and MOT.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 01:02 ----------

For fun put your neighbours car details in and let them know when their car is due tax and MOT. Or report them if you do not like them.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 01:21 ----------

You will see more than when tax and MOT are due! The net is awesome!

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 01:29 ----------

Simply enter a registration number and make of car.

Edited by billybob313

oh I'm sure I have :roll::roll::roll::roll:

You cannot tax a car if it is not insured, the cars details need to be 'the database' before the DVLA will issue tax.

but I'm sure we should all listen to your inane ramblings, I'm sure you know tons more about it than the DVLA themselves. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Geared. Yet again you have got your facts wrong.A car does not have to be insured in order to tax it.It has been like this for about a year now.Check this out on Gov Uk.I assume your next post will be an apology.