What are the secrets of a good marriage?

...riddle me this married people:

What happens when you get sick of each other? it not as if you can just unmarry for a while...how do you cope?

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 14:00 ----------

you think its better to have shared interests? or totally your own thing going on with other people?

Marry someone that you won't get sick of.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 14:31 ----------

Now that WOULD be an interesting (if not failed) marriage! :hihi:

I think it's great to have the same interests but I think it's even more important to have your own interests too.

Having your own set of friends and doing things without the OH is healthy. It also means you have something to chat about at the end of the day.

But of course, this is my own opinion. Everyone is different.

I couldn't and wouldn't want to have a relationship where you live in each others pockets. I'd find it difficult and maybe after a while getting fed up of seeing the same persons face!!

But I've always been that way.

Of course if you don't have some shared interests and friends then it's unlikely that you'd even be together in the first place.

I once knew a married couple that lived in different houses next door to each other! seemed to work for them.

This is no lie!!

My aunty and uncle live in their own houses! one up crookes the other at stannington! they've been married 38yrs and it works for them! haha

Each to their own.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 14:38 ----------

Marry someone that you won't get sick of.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 14:31 ----------

Of course if you don't have some shared interests and friends then it's unlikely that you'd even be together in the first place.

Me and the OH have completely different set of friends, I don't associate with his friends and he doesn't associate with mine (unless it's at a certain event and the two meet).

Larry Hagman JR, said the secret of a good long marriage is having two bathrooms. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 14:40 ----------

I once knew a married couple that lived in different houses next door to each other! seemed to work for them.

Where did their children live? :confused:

3 ideas....

Research would suggest that the length of the marriage is typically in inverse proportion to the cost of the wedding.

Expect your feelings for each other to mature and change, not stay at the same heightened level of excitement you felt when you first met.

Children usually enrich a marriage, but should not be seen as cement for one which is cracking.

Me and the OH have completely different set of friends, I don't associate with his friends and he doesn't associate with mine (unless it's at a certain event and the two meet).

You have something in common though, you met somehow in the first place.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 19:25 ----------

3 ideas....

Research would suggest that the length of the marriage is typically in inverse proportion to the cost of the wedding.

I'd love to see that research. That would also imply that the children from wealthy backgrounds have more failed marriages.

Clearly there are no secrets just a different opinion or re-iteration of something read.

We change our jobs. We change our cars and houses too. Is it any surprise we change our life partner for another one?

Marriage is at least not as bad as a tattoo.

What happens when you get sick of each other? it not as if you can just unmarry for a while...how do you cope?

You are presupposing that people will get sick of each other, that makes it a loaded question, which is pointless.

you think its better to have shared interests? or totally your own thing going on with other people?
My wife and I have some shared friends and also each our own friends. We have a few shared interests but for the most part have very different interests.

If that's the case, how are you going to cope when you both retire and are around each other 24/7?:hihi:

Separate bedrooms :)

I would have thought that was counter productive!!! :confused:

What happens if you decide you want children?:huh:

Push the single beds together.

:hihi::I'm sorry for laughing, but really?