Pitsmoor in the 60s

PC Ward is the one I remember

My name is Kathryn and I lived at 64 Nottingham Street from 1950 - 1968. We were a big family (seven Jones children - Diane, Jimmy, Jen, Jacqueline, Robert and Lewis). My dad was 'Taffy' the window cleaner who didn't give up work until he was 75. Other people I remember from Nottingham Street were the Millingtons, the Biggins, the Cottons, the Froggats, and the Shirleys. My grandma and grandad were the Harmans and lived on the corner of Lopham Street. We were opposite the co-op stores, a grocery shop and a butchers, which was next to a bomb site. The police box was in the middle of the road and further down at the corner of Verdon Street was Marshalls, Mr Marshall had only one eye. His son Rodney took over when they moved up to Rock Lane opposite the white chip shop. There was a bakers next door, where we got sticky buns and a sweet shop at the bottom on Rock Street, which had a penny tray. I was at Pyebank from 1955-1961. I remember Mr Cook, the headteacher, as a tyrant always caning boys with great ferocity. My favourite teacher was Mr Jenkinson who had a deformity of the jaw but who always treated me very kindly. Others in the class were: Susan Burns, Avril Hastings, Sheila Bamford, Kenneth Thorpe, Peter Swift and Edward Fenn. Does this spark any memories? Kathryn Dodd

Hi Kathryn - this scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory might take you back!.:)

The oldest pupil was a lady who will be 95 in Feb and the oldest member of staff was a Miss Fisher who is inher 80s.

Mr Bezent retired last year when the two schools amalgamated.

Thanks Hillsbro. I don't know anyone on the 'odd' side of the road! 66, and 68 Nottingham Street are missing. Our neighbour was an old lady called Mrs Croft. More please! Kathflap

...Our neighbour was an old lady called Mrs Croft...
Yes - in the 1957 directory Mrs Elizabeth Croft is shown at No 66 and Joseph Fisher at No 68. In the 1930s "George William Croft, engine driver" was the householder at No 66. He and Elizabeth had married as long ago as 1905; George died in 1941 and Elizabeth in 1964 (hence she is not listed in the 1965 directory). The houses had evidently gone by 1970.

Thanks Hillsbro. I can't remember Mrs croft dying in 1964. We didn't leave until 1967 when the houses were due to be demolished.

I was brought up in Woodside lane in the mid 50s. Our family name is Hawnt. Anyone remember my mom and dad ,Alan and Nancy?

Hi Kathryn

I have been in your house a few times if i remember correctly you walked up on the spare ground and on the left hand side there was a wooden gate to your house, but for the life of me i carnt remember why i went there, must have been to pick up one of your brothers? heres a map of your old house, click it once to enlarge. when you said you lived opposite the Co-op threw me a-bit.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/#entry22435

I am not sure you have got the right person. We were at number 64 Nottingham Street with houses on either side. You went up the passage to the back gate (which was wooden). There was waste ground opposite, which grandma said was bomb damage. My brothers were Jim, Robert and Lewis.

I am not sure you have got the right person. We were at number 64 Nottingham Street with houses on either side. You went up the passage to the back gate (which was wooden). There was waste ground opposite, which grandma said was bomb damage. My brothers were Jim, Robert and Lewis.

Yes you are right i have got the wrong person, i must have missread your post i was thinking you lived at the side the so called bomb site.