Pitsmoor in the 60s

Sorry Dors it should read #2481

Glad to hear you're both well Dave,give my best to Eileen.

If you go on Grimesthorpe thread i'm RF2690.I lived on hunsley st.Sheila.

Don't know where that is Dave,but there was a big board painted in the grounds of Abbeyfield park had many a game on that.

You got it , the lake (pond), was just before you got to the swings and flying plank, come to think of it,that thing was teriffic but very dangerous

Hi everyone

I have been reading all your memories and wondered if anyone remembers Leonard E Smith, think his mum & Dad were the Claxton's, William & Jessie, doing a family Tree. All I know is the Family lived in Wheldrake Road in 1925, before moving to Hampton Road Pitsmoor in the 30's and living there until the late 40's early 50's Cannot find anything else after that date, other than Len joining the Grenadier Guards during WW2. I am hoping that someone remembers something, although it is probably before your years, Im hoping that someone has older family that may remember.

Thanx everyone ;-) x

hi to all forum users ,im really glad i found this site, if like me it has brought back happy memories,some of which i had forgotten about ,i am 59 now and lived on marcus street, i remember going with my sister susan down on bull rocks making mud pies. does any one remember flats being built just off spital street, we were forever being chased off by night watchman.

Riding my bike up the slope to Bernards, chips and curry in a tray. Past Tonys shop ("thankyou luv, Ta luv") Up to the rec past the 13 storey flats (one had a launderette!!), eat the chips and do a couple of circuits around the rec. Back down past pye bank school, (after it was sand blasted) then up onto Andover Drive, home. Familys I remember; Cooks, Andrews, Keys, Keyworths, Parfits, Greaves, Blunts/Brunts?, Dales, Crafts. Teachers; Miss Templeton, Miss Chamberlaine (White), Mr Brittain, Mr & Mrs Bezant, Miss Major. Anyone remember any of this?

Sounds alot like a day in my life back then . . .my mum (Rita) worked for Cath and Bernard at the chippy and my sister owned the hairdressers "Snip its" in the middle of the chippy and Cario's (Tony). . . you didnt say my favourite teacher tho . . . Mr Fraser . . .I thought he was the bees knees when i was at Pye bank

Clare :wave: x

Don't know where that is Dave,but there was a big board painted in the grounds of Abbeyfield park had many a game on that.

I bet it wasn't draughts you played though, ha ha.

Sounds alot like a day in my life back then . . .my mum (Rita) worked for Cath and Bernard at the chippy and my sister owned the hairdressers "Snip its" in the middle of the chippy and Cario's (Tony). . . you didnt say my favourite teacher tho . . . Mr Fraser . . .I thought he was the bees knees when i was at Pye bank

We used the hairdressers, well Mum did .... I do remember being sat on the board across the seat to make us higher up. Just spoke to Mum and she can't remember the name of the hairdresser, but does recall having her hair dyed titian ..... I remember that too, I thought some stranger was taking my little brother as I didn't recognise the hair colour from behind LOL

I also remember Cario's. It seemed to be (as I remember) as small shop that was absolutely stuffed to the gills with stuff, it's where I had the choice of baked bean or hedgehog flavoured crisps!

Wow, such memories and all 40+ years ago :o

Was your sister called Marie?

We used the hairdressers, well Mum did .... I do remember being sat on the board across the seat to make us higher up. Just spoke to Mum and she can't remember the name of the hairdresser, but does recall having her hair dyed titian ..... I remember that too, I thought some stranger was taking my little brother as I didn't recognise the hair colour from behind LOL

I also remember Cario's. It seemed to be (as I remember) as small shop that was absolutely stuffed to the gills with stuff, it's where I had the choice of baked bean or hedgehog flavoured crisps!

Wow, such memories and all 40+ years ago :o

The shop that never closed and If he could manage it Tony never let you leave with out buying something great ice cream as well.

i seem to think that neil warris lived at the bottom house on carwood rd, next door to the butchers, we lived in the same yard, but we were 3 doors up from the butchers shop on petre st, and jack owned it at that time.

Seem to think neil lived in the family home after he married, and his parents took over the corner shop opposite ?

----

hi mate, when did you leave petre st, i lived on there

on there in 1968/9,

didn`t go to pitsmoor school -- only owler lane.