Pitsmoor in the 60s

Can anybody recall playing football on the Burngreave Danville mount in the late 50s, early 60s.Even when I was about 10 , my brothers, Gordon Walt Willis used to carry the goal post from The Guards Rest on Sorby St.Different pubs would play each other on sunday mornings. Each game would atract quite a good following untill it was time for the pub to open up. It was actually illegal to play organised football on sunday mornings. This was probably the fore runner of Sunday football as we have now

I have vivid memories of playing football on the Danville Rec back in the late1940s, and we used to watch The Star (the pub on D St, not the paper) football team play on that rather rough surface (tough on ther knees!) on Sunday mornings. Chester Lowe's dad was a rather portly outside-left, as I recall! (Some memories of football on D Street rec are mentioned in Derek Dooley's autobiography and in the book A Sheffield Boy, which has just been re-issued in paperback).

my husband Dave Pilkington (brothers Michael and Harold) remembers playing football with bob south with Dave Wall, John Bray and John Onions. Went to Ellesmere school and then on to Burngreave.

we met some people February this year in malta and can't remember his name but know he was a cousin of may Somerset, get in touch!

Hello Maryloo, nice to make your acqatance.I remember David very well as well as Mick and Harold. We used to have an odd pint or two in the Buckingham Arms. Pitsmoor was a fantastic place to grow up in ,in days gone by.I can remember playing football on the Danville mount wreck as a young lad of ten yrs old in 1951 up to a young man in my late20,s. All the names you have mentioned are correct plus Ron Metcalfe, Alan Marshall, Terry Simpson and many more. Needless to say, many a good footballer played on the wreck.I am 7o years old now and not in good health,but Iwill try and keep posting. Give my regards to David and god bless you both.

Hi maryloo

just had to smile to myself its a long time since i heard Harold called Harold "Baz"

Hi, some great memories in this thread. I lived on Pye Bank Drive during the 60's moved into one of the new upside down houses. I made a visit back to the area last year - after a 20 year gap. Wow!

Hi Siren.

I am 62 years old now so going back a long time. Helen terrace i know well. I was in the Boys brigade after the life boys.

The Captain then was John Cheetham also the other oficers were

John Watkins and Les Wright. Did you go to the youth club because thats where i met my wife Vicki. You must know the shop on Rock st called Cairios (excuse the spelling) the coblers called Bartroms.and i think the greengrosers were Feezis. I used to live on Montfort Rd coming from Rock st go past Fitzalan st and i was in one of those houses on the left with cellers on street level. This was opposite where Verdon st forked off. Remember Blackshaws drapers..Let me Know your age then i might Know if i Know you

Hi Siren I have just joined this Fourum. I lived on Fitzalan St.and I knew Helen Terr.I was also in The boys brigade and remember the names you have put down, Cairios I also remember he sold the first 1d Ice lolly I had,I also took papers for Cutts paper shop on the corner of Marcus St and Rock St.

There has never been a school on that land.

It had houses on it which were demolished in 1967.

The land the present school is on used to be Bramber Street and Montfort Rd and I remember a barbers shop on there very close to the sign post.

We used to get all our wood from the houses for the bonfire and remember the houses derelict a while before they were knocked down and they were open right down into the cellars.

st caths was a good walk away from there. it was behind firshill school and oppisite roe wood school(which was in the woods) i lived on pye bank close and walked to school every day. the land next to pye bank school was houses then when they came down we all called it the rough bit.

I went to St. Cath's. It used to be on Andover Street (my mum went there in the 40s and 50s) until the end of the 60s/start of the 70s, and since then on Firshill Crescent, the playing fields backing onto Roe Lane.

The nuns have long since left. The last one was Sister Thomas, a fiery Irish nun and headmistress until 1982, I think. The Sisters of Mercy lived on in the convent on the corner of Abbeyfield Road/Burngreave Road, where the Private Convent School was. That's now a nursing home.

I remeber sister Thomas! she taught me to read, she was one scary women

anyone remeber the three girls who lived on the flat bit of pye bank close near the loco club one was called sally and i had a massive crush on her

hi i lived in the old pitsmoor in the 50s in the slums with leaking roofs i also went to pye bank school and i hated it the teachers were the old school types who ruled with a disapline of iron, but enjoyed living there had lots of mate we would play up on parkwood springs at the weekends, when the demolition started we moved to gleadless valley with lots of others, the one outstanding thing i remember about pitsmoor and spital hill was that there ethnic people there only the odd west indian.

there were loads of big houses on pitsmoor and burngreave road and many were very well off a little known fact that arthur conan doyle lived and workedup there foff a time above a doctors where the green painted sop on the corner of spital hill near john heaths funeral home

Hi can anyone recall an Haberdashery shop on the corner of Buckingham Street, it was owned by a rather posh lady, she had at least two children, does anyone remember their names. The shop had those lovely wooden cabinets with the glass fronts. I used to buy my stockings from there. Thanks Penny

I was brought up on Ditchingham st in the 60s I went to Ellesmere rd infants and junior school between 61 and 67 then Burngreave secondary for a couple of years before Hind House I remember pitsmoor in those days with fondness we always seemed to have fun usually playing football for hours and never feeling tiered I'd love to see the kids these days run around like we did and not keel over.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 23:33 ----------

Hi can anyone recall an Haberdashery shop on the corner of Buckingham Street, it was owned by a rather posh lady, she had at least two children, does anyone remember their names. The shop had those lovely wooden cabinets with the glass fronts. I used to buy my stockings from there. Thanks Penny
I think you are talking about Lants penny the lads were Charlie and david.