New Blades kit revealed today.

green_man

That isn't the point I was making - let me rephrase: It doesn't look like the original shirt, yet it is being sold as a 'remake'. There is no reason other than marketing - it isn't a remake at all. I'd be very annoyed if the now traditional Owls shirt all of a sudden got transferred to something 'new' based on that.

As I said I'm not exactly a huge fan of this kit, it would be a great away strip but doesn't look right to me as a home strip.

Then again I'm a traditionalist in these things, and have disliked every non standard home strip we've ever come up, with including the 'Ajax' strip when Sabella played for us, the pajama style top in the Deane and Agana era and my most disliked one of all the 'diamond' style stripes.

The thinking behind it is probably that it is our first shirt which introduced the red stripe, our first two seasons we played in white shirts and blue shorts.

The badge was used on the second white shirt.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CDQQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.historicalkits.co.uk%2FSheffield_United%2FSheffield_United.htm&ei=-CIQVdD4POPO7gani4CwDw&usg=AFQjCNFBxjS2z10VV64z6HH8sb0xOkDdPA&bvm=bv.88528373,d.ZGU&cad=rja

Up close it looks OK but does just look white from a distance.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CDwQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sufcdirect.co.uk%2F&ei=iiQQVbaWLsaz7AbxooGABw&usg=AFQjCNFIALu8bblrPOtgGK1Iy0HZqrSg5Q&bvm=bv.88528373,d.ZGU

You will notice that as well as honouring our 125th years we are also paying a tribute to ZZ Tops 46 years of rock.

What I don't really get is that our 125 years of existence was last year, so why didn't we wear this shirt then?

I suspect Addidas were behind it.

I didn't realise it was a replica of United's original shirt/badge , makes much more sense now. I hope we do the same thing on our 150th year anniversary , in fact I'm hoping we will be allowed to be called "The Wednesday" for that season.

Exactly Gaz, it is the original kit and badge, for one season. I think people missed the most important point of the opening post, that the players will be selling the kit on eBay to raise money for the British Heart Foundation. A great cause (like so many others that need our help and donations).

I know we all like tradition, but this is part of our heritage, and only for one season.

Exactly Gaz, it is the original kit and badge, for one season. I think people missed the most important point of the opening post, that the players will be selling the kit on eBay to raise money for the British Heart Foundation. A great cause (like so many others that need our help and donations).

I know we all like tradition, but this is part of our heritage, and only for one season.

Sorry to be pedantic mate but it isn't our original kit. In the first two seasons of our existence we played in white shirts and blue shorts.

The first season we had no badge, that was introduced in the second season and the red pinstripes were introduced in our third season.

So it's a celebration of the first introduction of the red stripes.

As I said in my first post on the thread at 5 I agree with the good cause but think the shirt would have made a terrific away shirt.

All a matter of opinion of course and as long as we go back to a traditional shirt in 2016/17 it won't be too bad.

If we stuck with them through the red diamond stripe abomination we can handle this. :)