The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

I feel that the Uk's fifth largest city should be at least in the top ten of shopping centres.

Also the fact that a half billion pound spend will probably stop myself and my peers visiting the theatre is more than annoying.

Please explain how this will stop you visiting the theatre, are you saying the only accessible parking in Sheffield city centre is on Pinstone street?

I can't find this "uk retail study", has anyone else managed to locate it?

No - I've had a look but can't find anything that puts us on a par with Northampton and Stoke.

This shows Sheffield at number 26 in terms of retail spend, just behind Meadowhall at 24.

https://www.callcredit.co.uk/media/1199818/2013-retailvision-report.pdf

Instead of Sevenstone we are getting a series of smaller projects.

How much smaller? Are we looking at Sevenpounds or Sevenounces?

How much smaller? Are we looking at Sevenpounds or Sevenounces?

Sevenpebbles :help:

Do we really need another glossy retail development the same as every other city?

I'd much rather see a collection of quirky independent shops, with character and individuality, that give Sheffield designers and entrepreneurs a chance to showcase what they can do.

I'd much rather see a collection of quirky independent shops, with character and individuality, that give Sheffield designers and entrepreneurs a chance to showcase what they can do.

But independent shops sell the same rubbish that the main stream shops sell, for double the price.

Independent shops work in communities with rents lower than the city centre.

SCC should do more pop up shops though.

I just think the council are fighting a losing battle. There are two main reasons people choose Meadowhell over the city centre and the council seem to be addressing neither with the new developments.

1) Free parking

2) Covered shopping area so you don't get wet

You also have to add the fact the tram goes nowhere near The Moor and getting rid of the free bus. That makes point 2 even worse.

Sheffield city centre is just too big and sprawled out.

Tight gits like me have to walk from Jack Fulton's on the Moor, to Poundland, then pop next door to Iceland (the shop, not the country. . .) then walk uphill to Superdrug to see if they have any bargains on offer, and then. . . and then. . . and then. . . I have a ten to fifteen minute walk to get to Castle Square to visit Argos, the other Poundland, the 99p store, Wilkinsons and any other frozen food / discount shops, then make my way back to work.

It's almost impossible to do this in my one-hour lunch break !!!

The city council should put all my favourite shops next to each other, to make it easier for me and to encourage healthier competition in rip-off Britain.

Do we really need another glossy retail development the same as every other city?

Why can't we have both? The city centre should be a mix of national chains and independents.

All very twee and lovely but nobody wants that. People don't BUY from these places.

We already have plenty of places like that. Orchard square has a whole section of little independent shops on its upper floor. They are hardly booming. In fact I would be surprised if many even know they exist.

We also have the forum purpose built for quirky and individual stores. Again, how many people think of it as nothing more than a bar.

These ideals of a city being unchained and filled with ma and pa businesses is all well and good but they have to pay their way. Quite simply they don't.

Despite what many on here think it is nothing to do with the council. It's us. We customers vote with our feet. The reason there is such a despite need for a so called glossy retail development is because we customers have created such a need.

We get all green eyed about what leeds, manchester and liverpool has and we want one too. A load of overpriced quirky tat shops just won't do.

Another? We don't have one.

But actually yes, i'd like one. I'd also like some interesting indie stores. I'd like both. It doesn't have to be an and/or situation, look at York they've managed to blend the two beautifully

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 13:52 ----------

Sheffield city centre is just too big and sprawled out.

Tight gits like me have to walk from Jack Fulton's on the Moor, to Poundland, then pop next door to Iceland (the shop, not the country. . .) then walk uphill to Superdrug to see if they have any bargains on offer, and then. . . and then. . . and then. . . I have a ten to fifteen minute walk to get to Castle Square to visit Argos, the other Poundland, the 99p store, Wilkinsons and any other frozen food / discount shops, then make my way back to work.

It's almost impossible to do this in my one-hour lunch break !!!

The city council should put all my favourite shops next to each other, to make it easier for me and to encourage healthier competition in rip-off Britain.

That would be tremendous. If everyone could get everything they wanted just the way they want it.

(I realise this post isn't to be taken entirely seriously but if you really think Sheffield has a big city centre thank your lucky stars you don't live in Newcastle or Manchester or somewhere that has a city centre that dwarfs ours)

If no one will put the money forward, then nothing will be built. That's a simple fact of life.

Take a look at the architect’s web page, HSBC who have their headquarters at West Bar feature prominently in their design.

http://leonarddesignarchitects.com/projects/sheffield-new-retail-quarter/