Christening in S5

I would like to get my son christened this summer as my young daughter is, but with 2 small children and a hubby that is away 5 days a week, its very difficult to attend church. We are in parson cross and was wondering if there are any churches in the vicinity who could accomodate us?

Ta

Try St Pauls on Wordsworth Avenue but couldn't tell you whether any church would want you to attend beforehand as I have no religion

The one on Wadsley Bridge, opposite the Argos used to perform ceremonies without the need for regular attendance. Can't remember what it's called though.

Don't understand why you would want to get a child christened if you aren't a churchgoer, unless you are religious it doesnt really mean much these days. I havent bothered with my two

Don't understand why you would want to get a child christened if you aren't a churchgoer, unless you are religious it doesnt really mean much these days. I havent bothered with my two

I can see your point. In my situation it was pressure from grandparents. I would have let my child make is own decision on reaching adulthood, but I was persuaded into booking a christening.

She didn't say she wasn't a churchgoer, she said it was "difficult to attend church".

I would like to get my son christened this summer as my young daughter is, but with 2 small children and a hubby that is away 5 days a week, its very difficult to attend church. We are in parson cross and was wondering if there are any churches in the vicinity who could accomodate us?

Ta

Just ask the Priest/ Vicar at the church you normally attend

I can see your point. In my situation it was pressure from grandparents. I would have let my child make is own decision on reaching adulthood, but I was persuaded into booking a christening.

Whose children are they? Yours or the Grandparents?

The one on Wadsley Bridge, opposite the Argos used to perform ceremonies without the need for regular attendance. Can't remember what it's called though.

"Pay as you pray"?

Christenings R Us :hihi:

How times and attitudes have changed. I was born in the 50's and probably everyone I knew was Christened. Questions was asked if you wasn't.

There might have been problems as well getting into a school if you was not Christened. I knew a girl who was born out of wedlock, she did not have a hard time over it but a lad called her a b'sted and she cried her eyes out.

Now questions are asked if you have been Christened and being born out of wedlock is probably the majority. People condemn for you getting married?

Myself, I am for marriage and Christenings. It is commitment. But thats me.

But I can fair understand the grand parents as they probably come from that generation. As to not bothering and letting the kids decide, well I can't see many wanting to do that. It is a bit embarrasing having your adult head ducked backwards over a bowl and a vicar sprinkling water over you. Besides what will people say?

So I can understand the op's problem and good for her for trying.

I had my son Christened at the church opposite Argos (Christ Church I think) and we had to attend the actual service of the Chtistening.

The Methodist church on Norfolk Hill is pretty good at not being regimental. Has your Grand Parents voiced an opinion on what religion you should be christened? The Salvation Army once did Chritenings without the fuss but that was back in the 80's.

Do some searching of local Churches on Google, an email enquiry wont cost anything.

Whose children are they? Yours or the Grandparents?

It was my child, but my grandparents thought it was very important to have the child christened. I'm glad I did as they died shortly afterwards and so I have happy memories of the celebration.