Syriza to get majority in Greece.

You can't imagine anyone with any sense having any savings in a Greek bank, can you?

Mine would be have been under the bed, or abroad long ago.

<nvm, editing & web connection must have gone funny @ 16:55 & I'm on iPad now, not retyping :blush:> Edited by L00b

You can't imagine anyone with any sense having any savings in a Greek bank, can you?

Mine would be have been under the bed, or abroad long ago.

that must be a bit tricky for anyone who gets paid directly into their bank account, which is probably all civil servants, public sector workers, pensioners and anyone getting benefits.

Edited by drummonds

So the Greeks have accepted austerity in perpetuity. Five years down the line from the start of the crisis and they are worse off than ever.

At least this has shown that it is the Germans in charge of Europe, much as the French like to believe that the EU is their baby.

So the Greeks have accepted austerity in perpetuity. Five years down the line from the start of the crisis and they are worse off than ever.

At least this has shown that it is the Germans in charge of Europe, much as the French like to believe that the EU is their baby.

Worse off than ever, maybe, as bad off as they could have been? Definitely not.

the Greeks should have held their nerve and held out for greater concessions from Mr Angela Merkel.

Does ANYBODY out there believe they will ever pay back the €240 billion?

I'm hoping the Greeks default again and bring ze germanese down to size.

Compared to their previous policy of borrowing money to fund generous state benefits combined with a poor tax collection record, what choice is there but to accept austerity?

Compared to their previous policy of borrowing money to fund generous state benefits combined with a poor tax collection record, what choice is there but to accept austerity?

thats pretty much the options that faced the uk in 2010.

that must be a bit tricky for anyone who gets paid directly into their bank account, which is probably all civil servants, public sector workers, pensioners and anyone getting benefits.

Not really as people can either opt-out of having a bank account or withdraw the money as soon as its paid in.

People on benefits and also pensioners do not have to have bank accounts either.

Not really as people can either opt-out of having a bank account or withdraw the money as soon as its paid in.

People on benefits and also pensioners do not have to have bank accounts either.

that would be pretty difficult as we are discussing greece and the greek people being paid by the greek government into greek banks that the greek government have told to restrict the amount of money the banks allow the greek people to withdraw. uk law does not apply in greece . other than that little detail and you might be spot on if it occured here.

Don't they have HSBC, or Santander or something over there??

that would be pretty difficult as we are discussing greece and the greek people being paid by the greek government into greek banks that the greek government have told to restrict the amount of money the banks allow the greek people to withdraw. uk law does not apply in greece . other than that little detail and you might be spot on if it occured here.

Yes you are right, my fault as I misread the post..:)

But, this is a warning of what can happen even in the UK and a prime example of why people should diversify and not have all their eggs in one basket.

Yes you are right, my fault as I misread the post..:)

But, this is a warning of what can happen even in the UK and a prime example of why people should diversify and not have all their eggs in one basket.

i agree. what it has taught me is the guarantee on bank accounts isn't worth a light. a bit of gold hidden away can be a handy commodity.