2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

no gritters been on lowedges side roads ,no ploughs nothing myself and many others cannot get to main roads total disgrace scc or amey,why cannot roads be cleared after the main roads have been done,its terrible and about time scc did something about it

We got caught out in the snow last night and obviously we were pretty p****d off about it, but what made it really unacceptable was we`d checked the Teletext weather forecast (we had to take a relative back up to Knaresborough and it said the snow was forecast to arrive in Sheffield at 12.00 at night. Thus we thought we`d be fine to get back home for about 8.30PM. Ohh no. We were going past Wakefield on the M1 at not much past 8.00 when the snow started coming down really quite badly. By the time we got to Junc 36 it was unsafe to be doing much more than about 30mph, though that didn`t stop the usual imbeciles of course...... We got as far as Tankersley roundabout and there was standing traffic from there all the way down the A61. I won`t bore you with the full story but we didn`t get home till gone 10.00 having had to go all the way round and in via Attercliffe to try and find flat roads. But we never saw any gritters on the motorway and only one in Sheffield and that was at 10.00, way too late. It wasn`t even that cold last night between 8.00 and 10.00, my car was reporting temperatures between 0 and 2 degrees, if they`d gritted the M1 and the main routes in time there really wouldn`t have been much trouble at all.

Totally unacceptable.

Lol I'm more surprised that teletext still exists and people still use it.

Alternageek I salute you.

(You wouldn't like to do the same round here?)

Cheeky hat off now.

48 hours after the snow started the main bus route through Hackenthorpe still not open to buses ,yet you get an Amey mouthpiece saying all main roads are clear . 2 full days and still no bus service

Can anybody tell me what high lane and Main Street is like in Ridgeway? Is it covered in snow/ice? I presume it hasn't been cleared?

Thanks

48 hours after the snow started the main bus route through Hackenthorpe still not open to buses ,yet you get an Amey mouthpiece saying all main roads are clear . 2 full days and still no bus service

Same at Norton Lees, Hemsworth, Meersbrook. No sign of a gritter even on bus routes. It's an absolute disgrace. I feel extremely sad for the people relying on buses to get to see loved ones in the hospitals - they've got no chance.

THAT SAID, Morrisons vans are managing it ok. Perhaps it's a special kind of snow that is to gritters and buses what the other type was to trains a few years ago.

Edited by Mr Bloom

Same at Norton Lees, Hemsworth, Meersbrook. No sign of a gritter even on bus routes. It's an absolute disgrace. I feel extremely sad for the people relying on buses to get to see loved ones in the hospitals - they've got no chance.

The gritters have been out but they were not laying much grit. I remember when they used to have your eye out if you were stood on the pavement. Pathetic, I don't know why they have bothered.

Am stuck up norton lees. What about all the old people up this way.

I will be complaining in strong terms tomorrow. Not putting up with this until wrdnesdsy.

The gritters have been out but they were not laying much grit. I remember when they used to have your eye out if you were stood on the pavement. Pathetic, I don't know why they have bothered.

They've not been on our bus route. It's 100% grit free.

Council are a joke. Of course this is tory cuts. Bins are full too. 9 days to go for that.

Am stuck up norton lees. What about all the old people up this way.

I will be complaining in strong terms tomorrow. Not putting up with this until wrdnesdsy.

What's happening Wednesday?

What's happening Wednesday?

Wednesday is predicted to start off cold early in the morning, but by midnight temp should be around 7 degrees and getting warmer overnight going into Friday.

So really this snow wont be melting until new years day. It will partly melt in the day then freeze leaving the roads deadly by the mornings.