House Alarm recommendations/questions - no quotes/advertising

How much extra is it for the system monitoring, or do they not monitor systems?

How much extra is it for the system monitoring, or do they not monitor systems?

From what I have found out so far, you have the following choices:

A. Alarms that just make a noise when they detect something.

B. Alarms that do (A) and then call specified phone numbers to inform of the intrusion detection.

C. Alarms that do (A) and ((B) and also dial the police.

As expected, the price of the annual maintenance increases as the functionality increases.

C .... Alarms don't dial the police ...

They dial a monitoring station ....if they receive a confirmed alarm ( two separate devices ) they may pass your activation onto your local police force ( if a URN has been paid for ) by you via a approved installer , they don't guarantee a response as its all down to available manpower...

C .... Alarms don't dial the police ...

They dial a monitoring station ....if they receive a confirmed alarm ( two separate devices ) they may pass your activation onto your local police force ( if a URN has been paid for ) by you via a approved installer , they don't guarantee a response as its all down to available manpower...

I stand corrected :)

Any thoughts on which is better - a wired alarm, or a wireless one?

I googled it, and that did not come up with much one way or the other.

Both contractors told me that wireless is extremely reliable now, compared to in the past. It is also easier to fit and there are no ugly wires! Both also recommended a wired bell, as it sounds for 15 mins rather than just 4mins as in a wireless one. Best thing to do is get them to do a site survey. There is no "standard" set up - what you require depends entirely on your house's floor plan, how many rooms, where the vulnerable points are. Etc etc. Each house is different.

The reason I asked about monitoring was related to house insurance. I once asked what difference an alarm would make to my house insurance. I was old it would only be taken into account if the system was monitored.

Check the small print ....you may get a 10% discount on your home insurance ....but if you fail to set the alarm and have a break in , they may not pay out !

Got a problem with our house alarm and am looking for a repair. Anybody any recommendations?

Thanks.

Edited by Krammers

I can recommend Vigil security systems 0114267881they are a good reliable company and fair priced they even suggested cheaper way of doing what I wanted , did an excellent job changing my alarm system

I can recommend Vigil security systems 0114267881they are a good reliable company and fair priced they even suggested cheaper way of doing what I wanted , did an excellent job changing my alarm system

Many thanks will take a look.

I have an old alarm system installed. The previous owners gave me the PIN number but I've lost it. I don't think there's a battery connected to the alarm, as it goes off if ever there's a power cut.

Can anyone recommend someone who can fit a battery and reset the PIN number? I've got the old manual but there's nothing in there about how to reset the PIN. I'm in S12.

Thanks