New LED street lights

there are two types of sodium lights, so its better to be specific to save confusion ;)

Anyway, the old SOX lights were 35watt on most sideroads, and the new LED lights are 52watt

Sheffield switched from SOX nearly 20 years ago and have been using the other sodium light source (SON) since. Typical side roads are lit with 70w SON. A typical LED side road installation will run at between 25 and 35 watts., hence a significant energy saving.

There's one or two at the top of Westfield Road S20, I noticed the pool of white light as I approached and at first thought it was a car's headlights around the bend. First impression is that they're rather stark and irritating, unlike the softer light of the sodium.

These are now in use on stannington hill and they feel a bit too bright to me, maybe I just need to get used to them.

Sheffield switched from SOX nearly 20 years ago and have been using the other sodium light source (SON) since. Typical side roads are lit with 70w SON. A typical LED side road installation will run at between 25 and 35 watts., hence a significant energy saving.

the ones they have been replacing where I have seen have been replacing 35w SOX lamps

The ones at the bottom of walkley lane are a great improvement, I'm looking forward to the whole of Sheffield being done, the light quality is much better, visibility is improved and it all looks and feels much more modern

End of Station Road at Ecclesfield junction with The Common

the ones they have been replacing where I have seen have been replacing 35w SOX lamps

There are still plenty of SOX lamps out there, but these are old installations and standards have changed since SOX was last installed as a new installation.

There are still plenty of SOX lamps out there, but these are old installations and standards have changed since SOX was last installed as a new installation.

so energy consumption will increase

some of the brand new ones at darnall on the road up past macdonalds to the industrial units have already gone faulty and are flashing, not a great sign of things to come. :-(

so energy consumption will increase

No, it will decrease. The majority of residential roads are currently lit with 35w Sox or 70w Son, these run at about 42 and 80w respectively, a typical LED installation runs at around 25-35w per unit.

I have to say at first glance I really, really dislike these lamps, I hope it won't be too bad in the long run but fear it will be awful .

I can see the arguments for energy saving, but I have several criticisms:

1. The light effect they're chosen makes everything look harsh like a morgue. I know sodium lamps aren't ideal, but at least the yellow colour gave a bit of gentle softness that is appropriate for the night.

We surely don't want the night to be as bright as the day 24x7 - do we?

Blue frequencies of light disturb sleep and influence Melatonin production. If you want to settle down at night, it's a well established medical fact that you need yellows and Reds - blue decreases Melatonin.

And failure to get enough Melatonin means that you lose its cancer suppressing effects. This street lighting could mess up your sleep patters and really make you ill!

2. The lamps are positioned very high up. This means that the glare hits you in the eyes wherever you go.

3. Will they end up going down the side roads? Will these tall lamps even shine brightly into people's back gardens.

4. As a keen amateur astronomer I wonder if I'll ever have the pleasure of seeing a dark winter's night from my back garden ever again. At present my front garden faces south and I can see Orion in the winter. Scrub that forever if they put one of those lights in the street.

I'd like to see the following:

1. A slightly softer, yellower shade of LED - they do exist!

2. Lamps positioned lower and with guards around - so that the light is reflected into the street, not sideways into people's eyes.

3. Perhaps reduce the brightness.

I

2. The lamps are positioned very high up. This means that the glare hits you in the eyes wherever you go.

2. Lamps positioned lower and with guards around - so that the light is reflected into the street, not sideways into people's eyes..

hows that work?