New LED street lights

Now that the project to install LED street lighting throughout Sheffield has started, I wouldn't mind finding out what streets already have it installed? I wouldn't mind having a look so that I know what we're in for.

Morland close at herdings s14

Thay do look a lot brighter than the old ones

Not seen any of the ones in Sheffield yet but I was visiting my sister in the West Midlands last weekend and they have recently been installed in her local suburb. They look good for starters (touch of class never did any area any harm) but I can also say from a functional point of view the white light looks far safer and more inviting than dingy yellow. They produce much less glare upwards (good news for star gazers!) and sideways (good news for those of you with one bang outside your bedroom window).

I understand the energy savings and lifespan of these new ones make financial sense too, since they are being installed as part of this streets ahead malarky anyway - there really isn't all that much to grumble about.

Good old Sheffield will find a way though!

Does this mean they can actually stay on all night instead of them trying to save money by turning some streets off between certain hours? ;) Proper white light + less upwards glare will be great when rolled out across whole areas.

They will keep them on all night but they will dim them in the middle of the night and turn them up when needed, remotely

;9340131']Now that the project to install LED street lighting throughout Sheffield has started' date=' I wouldn't mind finding out what streets already have it installed? I wouldn't mind having a look so that I know what we're in for.[/quote']

If you happen to be in the town centre have a wander down Charles St. They are now installed there.

http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/charles-st-a-streets-ahead-case-study/

Went to the roadshow in Walkley library last night. South Rd / Howard Rd will be getting the new lights in January

I like the idea of white light rather than the depressing orange sodium lamps we have now.