Overseeing Ameys work

The newly laid roads and footpaths are definitely much more slippery in icy conditions.

I walked down to Chap to catch a train last winter and the new footpaths were like a skating rink, whereas the old ones were fine. I think given a bit of time as the new roads and footpaths are used the smooth top will begin to wear giving a better gripping surface.

My biggest concern is that they only appear to have put a wearing course on many of the roads, therefore if the sub base has any sort of weakness this will impact on the new shiny roads in the not too distant future.

I guess we'll find out in 3 or 4 years whether they're holding up ok.

Regards

Doom

Amey are very badly organised at management level and cannot organise work schedules properly, thats why I have a road sign in the middle of the pavement outside my house. Bad show all round and its no wonder they are behind with the work.

On my street they put the wrong road signs up. I had to phone the council and report this and they had to come back and re-do them all again !!

Should have started on our road monday but they didnt put the signs up so couldnt legally start it.said they will let us know when they decide to come back

The money available last year that didn't get used will have gone back to Central government.
if that's the case why is it that previous councils have asked the government for more money year on year :roll:

Amey are very badly organised at management level and cannot organise work schedules properly, thats why I have a road sign in the middle of the pavement outside my house. Bad show all round and its no wonder they are behind with the work.

Correct I am amazed by their shambolic organisation and timing.

Is there anyone watching the performance of the workforce and more importantly the quality of work we are getting for handing over millions of pounds to them.

I've seen a couple of examples of the work and in my untrained opinion it wont last any length of time, pavements seem to be getting covered in around 10 mm of tarmac and the roads dont seem to be getting much more.

I hold up my hands and admit that I know little or nothing of the operation but I sincerely hope there are council and government inspectors doing unannounced checks to see we are getting what is being paid for.

:hihi: Ha! Don't hold your breath! It's a disgrace.

been waiting weeks for the letters to be painted over 3rd lampost up from linley lane ,on normanton hill , in bright yellow if kids had done it they would have got a fine,but must say the white lights are brilliant, if youll pardon the pun

Is there anyone watching the performance of the workforce and more importantly the quality of work we are getting for handing over millions of pounds to them.

I've seen a couple of examples of the work and in my untrained opinion it wont last any length of time, pavements seem to be getting covered in around 10 mm of tarmac and the roads dont seem to be getting much more.

I hold up my hands and admit that I know little or nothing of the operation but I sincerely hope there are council and government inspectors doing unannounced checks to see we are getting what is being paid for.

They have only done some pavements around me with tarmac, the rest have had slabs replaced, obviously they stand out like a sore thumb because the others have been down over 60 years.

The company is a disgrace.

On a number of newly laid pavements around Broomhill, they had to dig channels in the new pavements because they forgot the new led lighting was going in – so now the new pavements are as bad as the ones they replaced.

The same with drop kerbs – they fit the new pavement, then come back and dig it up to lay the drop kerb and patch around the new drop kerb with tarmac.

I am no expert, but I will be surprised if the new roads last 5 years before they need completely stripping out and re-laying.

Look at Hoole Rd (a side road) that has been down about a year – the tarmac now appears to be lifting and has dozens of large cracks.

Don’t waste your time writing to the council or your MP (mine being Clegg) – you are as good as wasting your time. Nobody seems bothered.

I am no expert, but I will be surprised if the new roads last 5 years before they need completely stripping out and re-laying

Which would be at their own expense.