Overseeing Ameys work

But do you have any idea how many Ltd companies are listed within the group? *

Nothing to stop one of them going pop...

Does anyone know exactly which one is operating in Sheffield?

* 244 in total. 87 trading. 23 non trading. 134 dissolved

Thank you - I thought this would be the case, but didn't know or have the inclination to discover.

An amey flatback with 2 workers have been on our street today (a Saturday) since 9 AM.

They seem to have spent most of the morning sat in the cab sheltering from the rain, then they sprung into action about midday and started cutting some of the turf from the edges of the verges.

After 30 minutes they were back in the cab (lunchtime?).

Now moved 30 yards up the road , and they have been joined by another flatback + 2 workers on the other side of the road - doing the same job....

All vital work I am sure but not sure essential on a Saturday?

I am coming to the conclusion after witnessing numerous jobs by these clowns in different parts of the city , either Amey are losing money hand over fist or , our council has signed us into a terrible deal and Amey are laughing all the way to the bank...

When Amey first started this programme of work, on the roads I saw them on, they seemed to be working hard and long hours ... even through the nights around the main roads in the Meadowhead area and Abbeydale Road South at Totley.

Where exactly are they working at the moment? Are they still working through the night?

When Amey first started this programme of work, on the roads I saw them on, they seemed to be working hard and long hours ... even through the nights around the main roads in the Meadowhead area and Abbeydale Road South at Totley.

Where exactly are they working at the moment? Are they still working through the night?

I thought they only worked nights on roads that were difficult to do during daylight hours due to traffic and parking problems. I see they have done the Dore Industrial Estate at Handsworth or some of it, I would imagine that was done at night as there is very little parking other than on the road for the workers, also companies need access for making and receiving deliveries.

I suppose there would be far too many complaints if they worked through the night on residential roads. Personally, I'd be happy for a night or two of noise and disruption if it got the job on my road done quicker. I realise not everyone feels the same though.

I am coming to the conclusion after witnessing numerous jobs by these clowns in different parts of the city , either Amey are losing money hand over fist or , our council has signed us into a terrible deal and Amey are laughing all the way to the bank...

Surely Amey wouldn't risk losing the contract when it comes up for renewal in 25 years time?

An amey flatback with 2 workers have been on our street today (a Saturday) since 9 AM.

They seem to have spent most of the morning sat in the cab sheltering from the rain, then they sprung into action about midday and started cutting some of the turf from the edges of the verges.

After 30 minutes they were back in the cab (lunchtime?).

Now moved 30 yards up the road , and they have been joined by another flatback + 2 workers on the other side of the road - doing the same job....

All vital work I am sure but not sure essential on a Saturday?

Surely there must be a contact at the council that you can report this to and for them to take up with Amey?

as are kier/capita/Veolia:loopy:

Surely there must be a contact at the council that you can report this to and for them to take up with Amey?

Have reported various things on a few occasions , nothing ever gets done.

Somewhere in my history may well be another rant about the street light fiasco we had on our street at work...

Tweeted several times to the @sccstreetsahead account - no answer (I presume they just block people who send them a moan)

Really , someone at the star or telegraph should be running a regular column on this and getting to the bottom of all the facts and figures - but we all know the star doesn't do journalism...

---------- Post added 19-11-2014 at 10:27 ----------

Here is a link to the actual contract, I am unsure if this is a new page on SCC website or has always been there... note most of the really interesting stuff is "redacted" due to commercial sensitivities (wonder if available via freedom of information act?).

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/faqs/contract.html

The Amey company setup to take the money is Amey Hallam Highways Ltd which is in turn owned by Amey Hallam Highways Holdings Ltd (the equal shareholders of the holding co. are listed as Amey Ventures Asset Holdings Ltd , Equitix Highways 2 Ltd and Uberior Infrastructure Investments (No5) Ltd - down the rabbit hole we go...follow it far enough and I am sure something interesting will lie...)

Turnover to Dec 2012 was £ 41 million. To Dec 13 £ 95 million .

Pre Tax loss to Dec 13 was £ 1 million

However , I am no accountant but they seem to be doing OK thanks to a receipt of £ 13 million listed in "extraordinary items" in their P&L in year to Dec 13.

Shareholders funds (net worth) are £ 6.6 million. Not bad for 2 years in.

If anyone at the Star reads this , how about doing some real investigating huh?