Car Dealer Advice- Starting out

My friend is looking to start trading in cars and looking for advice.

Just looking to start small and go on from there.

Do you need a licence to trade cars now? Where's the best place to get traders insurance? And what about car tax, is a trader allowed to drive a car without mot and tax?

Also what are the legal implications nowadays when you sell a car? do you have to offer a warranty?

When a trader buys a car does he keep the log book so he can sell the car straight away??

Any advice from people with experience appreciated please.

Edited by Shefuser
Missed something out.

Certainly not a business to enter into lightly, it is a minefield. There is plenty of the information that you have requested online from DVLA, Lawdata, HPI, etc. Unless your friend is just selling the odd vehicle, I would suggest that some previous experience in the trade is vital.

No TIMEWASTERS please find something else to do with your life

You will forgive us if we are less than helpful. Most of us have been the "victim" of shady car dealers in the past. A car dealer coming back for advice is a little bit rich.

Get proper legal advice from someone who knows the game.

If I had my time again that's what I would have done. I'd have love it !!

They all seem to know each other and many have family connections going back decades. The main thing you need is contacts and friends in the trade.

I'm told selling cars is the easy bit, finding them at the right price is harder.

You also need access to mechanic/mot services at the right price and the ability to offer finance unless you are selling below 1k.

Many now trade on the internet but a good site is still essential in my opinion.

Then, a good eye for cars is number one,, no point selling cars no one wants.

The ability to spot a lemon is a close second, and will save loads of money.

My friend is looking to start trading in cars and looking for advice.

Just looking to start small and go on from there.

Do you need a licence to trade cars now? Where's the best place to get traders insurance? And what about car tax, is a trader allowed to drive a car without mot and tax?

Also what are the legal implications nowadays when you sell a car? do you have to offer a warranty?

When a trader buys a car does he keep the log book so he can sell the car straight away??

Any advice from people with experience appreciated please.

When a trader buys a car he fills in the trader part of logbook and gives that part to seller and trader takes rest of logbook . As for trade policy there is quite a few companies that advertise in auto trader and such like mags but they are not cheap now.in order to get trade plates you used to have to be vat registered but not sure if that still applies now.