Is It Time Ecclesall Road Was Made One-way?

verona

Fstudents find it hard to get around (it invariably leads to poor student satisfaction). Nottingham uni found this with their Sutton Bonnington campus, which the staff love but students hate.

To be fair tho all you've gotta do is make sure the campus is on the end of the tram line.

Sort out some kind of deal for tickets for the stufents with supertram and you'll be fine

*Road

It seems no matter the the time of day you go there, traffic is deadlock. What about making it one-into town and Psalter Lane one-way out of town?

What about not? I live on Psalter Lane and I would not want this at all. I can put up with it being busy in the morning going into town and evening going other way because it doesn't last that long but I wouldn;t want the volume of traffic that comes down Ecclesall road all the times thanks!

I live in the area and agree that driving down ecclesall road is a nightmare. It's always busy as it is a key route in and out of the city and a high populated area. There are always a lot of pedestrians as well as well as the busy collegiate Hallam campus which slows the traffic down with all the traffic lights. A big problem is the parking which is mostly roadside. I drive this way to and from work everyday and it is always the slowest part of my journey.

• 1 month later...
If you read what I said, you will realise that I am saying buses should be removed off Ecclesall Road by taking a different route, that way Ecclesall can actually become more car-friendly.

46 years of fighting to get up and down Ecclesall Road daily tells me that what actually needs to happen is to ban car PARKING on the road at ALL times of day and make the bus lanes operate from 7:00 a.m. until at least 7:00 p.m.

The issue is only partly that the road was built when a horse and trap was the only way to get about except on your own feet; it's the ABuse of the parking and the flagrant disregard of road markings, traffic lights, etc., that makes the volume of traffic into a huge problem.

Banning busses would kill a great many of the businesses ... which in a way would help as there would be little for the cars to need to be parked for, but not a brilliant idea in terms of the local economy or jobs.

Liverpool have just completed a trial with regards no bus lanes and traffic conjestion was found to have decreased by 30%. Therefore, increasing bus lanes and times will only destroy what business is there already. Look what happened at the bottom end of Queens Road London Road and Chesterfield Road.

It's probably heresy to posit the suggestion that Hallam University and the University of Sheffield, when thinking of opening new teaching sites did so in the less congested part of the city. So it frees up space, and students aren't all concentrated in one small area of the city. Land must be a lot cheaper in places like Atlas, Fir Vale and Pitsmoor.

very very good point. I'm sick of all this bending over backwards for the bloody university with all the traffic measures in place for it and so on. Must the university complex be where it is?

At least some parking is already banned [double-yellow lines, you see].

And parking meters from Banner Cross down in front of the shops are coming too, next year.

Yet another area of town that will lose my custom then as the council tries to screw ever more money out of anybody who has the temerity to want to park on a road, anywhere.