Do Air Ambulance Charity knock on doors selling Lottery Schemes?

Hi people,

I live in S5 and I've just had someone in a hivis jacking with the Air Ambulance logo on knocking on my door stating they are from the Air Ambulance Charity. They tried signing me up for a lottery scheme by paying direct debit.

Has anyone had this and are the really official as he said he is coming back in 2weeks. I live in an area of old people and worry he is trying to take advantage.

Best bet would be to call them directly? Or if in any doubt, contact 101 and see if the police can move these people away from the area. Especially since it's dark now.

i believe that yorkshire air ambulance do run a lottery, everyone seems to do so these days.

whether or not they attempt to recruit by door-to-door contact is another matter

Hi people,

I live in S5 and I've just had someone in a hivis jacking with the Air Ambulance logo on knocking on my door stating they are from the Air Ambulance Charity. They tried signing me up for a lottery scheme by paying direct debit.

Has anyone had this and are the really official as he said he is coming back in 2weeks. I live in an area of old people and worry he is trying to take advantage.

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance charity website says they do not to door to door.

http://www.yorkshireairambulance.org.uk/whatwedontdo/

I have contacted 101 and informed them. They are going to check their records as they say charities contact them to let them know if they are knocking on doors.

On the Yorkshire Air Ambulance website it says:-

DOOR KNOCKING

‘Door knocking’ or Charity collectors operating in neighbourhoods is probably the most frequent enquiry we receive at Charity HQ. This can include people approaching you at your home address asking you to sign up for a lottery scheme, collecting textile recycling or generally asking for donations to the Charity. They often require you to give you bank details to them. The YAA can confirm that we have never used this tactic to fundraise nor would we ever encourage fundraisers to collect money in this way. Official YAA representatives would never undertake this kind of fundraising as it is something we do not condone or support

EDIT: Coxy you beat me to it lol

We had them a few months back. It's not Yorkshire air ambulance. It's just the "air ambulance"

Not actually our yellow Yorkshire air ambulance.

My OH kept saying to the bloke it's a really good cause and we'd watched the programme which featured our ambulance.

The bloke was happy to make out that he was from YAA when I clicked at the beginning it was a separate Air ambulance.

I felt that was quite underhanded and I decided not to partake.

Yes we had them knock on our door last week, I was going to partake until he said can I just come in and fill in your bank details. At that point I said to him "Oh no you`re not having my bank details" and off he went. I give to charities of my choice what I don`t expect is people knocking on my door and asking me :rant:

I'm afraid you could be coming to tell me about the most valid cause in the world and I'm still not going to give you my bank details on demand. How are people meant to know who is genuine and who's just got the right forged paperwork and the right patter?

I choose who to donate to, I contact them and then I'm reasonably sure that I'm not giving my bank account details to someone who's about to sell them for some sort of fraud. I don't buy anything brought round to the door so why would I just give my bank details out to someone calling past?

NEVER give to people who go door to door, the charity barely ever receive money for it as most of the cash go's to pay the business doing the rounds as commission.

If you want to give to charity then go on their website and make a donation.

I called round to see my (elderly) mother the other night (lives in S6 where there are notices everywhere saying no canvassers or door to door selling) and found she had signed a direct debit for almost £9pm in the belief that it was going towards the new helipad at the Northern General. The company are based in Walsall and are door knocking signing people up to a national lottery.

My Mother is from the trusting generation (not stupid just trusting) so would not see anything wrong in handing over her card details. Thankfully, she mentioned what she'd done to me so I asked her to visit her bank which she did yesterday who were very helpful and will stop the DD hopefully before any payments are taken.

It makes me so mad that this still happens after all the warnings given out (my mother even has a police 'we don't buy at the door' notice on the door) Hopefully, the DD will be stopped in time but I was shocked how easy it was for my mother to hand over her card details – despite constant drumming in to her not to do such a thing. She is usually very sharp on such matters but details of the NG helipad fund raising had just been on the TV news so I guess that put her off her guard.