Sir Richard Branson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29356627

On his website, he said that his staff of 170 could "take off whenever they want for as long as they want".

He added that there was no need to ask for approval, nor say when they planned to return, the assumption being that the absence would not damage the firm.

Sir Richard, at work, yesterday:

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/6000/800/6847/6847.strip.zoom.gif

Most of the companies I know who have put this into place, are expecting more out of you when you ARE working. They expect you work more than 8 hours a day.. skipping lunches and even coming in at weekends and doing a full day. In return, you get to take off whenever you want, for however long you want.

Most of the companies I know who have put this into place, are expecting more out of you when you ARE working. They expect you work more than 8 hours a day.. skipping lunches and even coming in at weekends and doing a full day. In return, you get to take off whenever you want, for however long you want.

Sounds fair enough to me. :thumbsup:

Just what many self-employed people do, in my experience.

Just what many self-employed people do, in my experience.

Well, sort of. I, for want of a better word, did bugger all today, except take two phonecalls and thin out some of the stuff I'd recorded from sky (actually that's pretty productive;)) however come tomorrow there won't be whispers round the photocopier or the office kiss ass announcing how he'd picked up the slack etc etc. When I did work for someone else coming back to office to try and pick up was always a ball ache at the best of times but rather than encouraging flexible working this looks like a sneaky way of saying don't take any time off because we'll notice come promotion time.

I don't like this scheme as what is expected between the employer and the employee is too ambiguous.

In principle it sounds great, but when the reality hits when your boss will not let you go on your booked and paid for family holiday because someone on your team has messed up on the current project, leaving your team with lots of work to do, maybe it won't seem such a good idea.

Edited by JFKvsNixon