Ending world poverty

And when the wealth of the world is shared out equally between 7,000,000,000 people the majority of the UK population would be worse off.

I have never advocated that the money be shared out between individuals. However there are certainly sensible ways of approaching a more equitable society.

The environment seldom does well under chem1sts schemes.

Plenty of wildlife on my land...

And with land owned by everyone, certain bits can be left to nature.

---------- Post added 16-09-2014 at 22:46 ----------

I prefer just my family to benefit from my hard work and I don't mind other hard workers benefiting from their hard work, I don't see why the lazy should benefit from the hard work of others. And whilst you are dividing the planet equally will all other life forms get their share?

Currently lazy landowners benefit from others hard work.

How do you propose we change the system so that they don't?

Plenty of people who want to work, some of them will even pay to work. (e.g. rent an allotment), but cannot work due to a lack of employment.

How do you propose we change the system so that they can work and benefit fro the their own labour...

Plenty of wildlife on my land...

And with land owned by everyone, certain bits can be left to nature.

---------- Post added 16-09-2014 at 22:46 ----------

Currently lazy landowners benefit from others hard work.

How do you propose we change the system so that they don't?

Plenty of people who want to work, some of them will even pay to work. (e.g. rent an allotment), but cannot work due to a lack of employment.

How do you propose we change the system so that they can work and benefit fro the their own labour...

But my neighbour has built a massive cess pit and has just opened an abbatoir and tannery. The smell is awful. The other neighbour has now faffed about with his irrigation so I don't get any water. All my crops have died and I can't afford the insurance - they say I don't know what I'm doing as I'm not a farmer. And my house has fallen over - I'm not a builder either.

Now the other neighbour is building a really tall building and I'm not getting any sunlight. I've got a vote right? I want to vote to back to how we were! Is that allowed?

But my neighbour has built a massive cess pit and has just opened an abbatoir and tannery. The smell is awful. The other neighbour has now faffed about with his irrigation so I don't get any water. All my crops have died and I can't afford the insurance - they say I don't know what I'm doing as I'm not a farmer. And my house has fallen over - I'm not a builder either.

Now the other neighbour is building a really tall building and I'm not getting any sunlight. I've got a vote right? I want to vote to back to how we were! Is that allowed?

Unlucky you. When did this happen?

When you do the math it is clearly not possible, there simply isn't enough for everyone the planet to all all the things you want them to have, cut the population and it would be possible.

Of course it would. There's lots of good farmland in Africa going unused because of a lack of investment, caused mainly by the way Europe & the USA subsidise their own farmers. There are more intensive farming methods that can produce more food from less land.

Curing world hunger is at least possible.

Cut the population & you lose efficiency, and how exactly would that work, a mass cull?

It'd cost less than 1% of GDP from the richest countries to end extreme poverty worldwide (income under $2 a day per person), stop as many people starving or dying from easily treatable or preventable diseases. About $175 billion per year, total. After a few years it'd probably not cost much at all & we'd see gains from the larger global economy.

http://www.visionofearth.org/economics/ending-poverty/how-much-would-it-cost-to-end-extreme-poverty-in-the-world/

Edited by anywebsite

Of course it would. There's lots of good farmland in Africa going unused because of a lack of investment, caused mainly by the way Europe & the USA subsidise their own farmers. There are more intensive farming methods that can produce more food from less land.

Curing world hunger is at least possible.

Cut the population & you lose efficiency, and how exactly would that work, a mass cull?

That's the food you have sorted what about everything else, or is poverty just a measure of the amount of food people have?

That's the food you have sorted what about everything else, or is poverty just a measure of the amount of food people have?

Extreme or absolute poverty is about survival.

You'll always have relative poverty until the large gap between the rich & poor is closed, since it's a relative measure. It's not really our job to make sure everybody in the world gets a couple of foreign holidays a year, but we could help them to produce food (by importing more of it, making it profitable to farm more land), improve sanitation, access to water, healthcare & at least a basic education.

The EU paid out €83 billion in farm subsidies in 2012, their main effect is to keep Africa poor.

Edited by anywebsite

Extreme or absolute poverty is about survival.

You'll always have relative poverty until the large gap between the rich & poor is closed, since it's a relative measure. It's not really our job to make sure everybody in the world gets a couple of foreign holidays a year, but we could help them to produce food (by importing more of it, making it profitable to farm more land), improve sanitation, access to water, healthcare & at least a basic education.

The EU paid out €83 billion in farm subsidies in 2012, their main effect is to keep Africa poor.

African's should be more than capable growing enough food to feed themselves, they are humans after all and humans are the most intelligent species on the planet. How do farm subsidies in the EU stop Africans growing food on the good farmland that they have and don't use.