Landlord only accepts cash?

Complete Nonsense. Many landlords self manage and take cash only. All above board. It's threads like this that give landlords a bad name. At least have some clue when you make ridiculous statements. :rant:

Too right .. not everyone even these days has, wants or needs a bank account. What's wrong is that we have become so indoctrinised to idea of having a bank account that many think the worst of people that don't.

There is little scope for fiddling the HRC because they can just ask your tennant how much they pay and how long have you been paying and the game would be up.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_renting_a_home_e/tenancy_agreements.htm

But Yes you are entitled to a rent book you don't have to have one and one does not have to be offered.

If you are living in rented accommodation, which includes dwellings rented by private landlords, voluntary bodies, local authorities and employers, you have certain rights that are set down in law. One of these rights is your entitlement to a rent book......

Your landlord should record all rent payments in the rent book. If you make the payments in person, the landlord should sign the book or give you a signed receipt with details of the payment. If you pay in another way, such as by post or standing order, the landlord should either sign the rent book or give you a written receipt within 3 months of the payment.

Edited by Tommo68

Since when does the tenant give the orders. :hihi:

No likey no renty.

This attitude is exactly the reason why Landlords have to take a very tough stance with prospective tenants from the outset. Extensive checks before even agreeing to let to them. And most importantly, NEVER EVER rent to anyone unless you have seen them in their current home, that one visit will tell you everything you need to know about a potential tenant.

Tell him no indeed. I can't stop laughing. :D

And? There are plenty of honest landlords.

Why would I go to the hassle of getting cash out so he can avoid tax?

You should tell them to let to coke dealers - they are flush with cash. The honest world doesnt mind a record.

---------- Post added 28-08-2014 at 18:50 ----------

You guys are so funny. There are many professional landlords who self manage and collect the rent in person in cash. And they NEVER even consider trying to evade tax. They WANT to pay the correct amount of tax, put everything through the books properly, because it is in their interest to do so, so that they have a strong proven track record so the bank will lend them more so they can grow their portfolios. There are many perfectly legitimate reasons why some landlords only take cash.

and you didnt state a single one.

2 minutes later the next tenant arrives, he passes the previous wastrel setting up his sleeping bag in a shop entrance.

Tenant - Can I have your bank details please, so I can arrange the rent direct debit.

Landlord - Can you pay me cash please.

Tenant - sure thing guvnor

Landlord - Welcome home son

Tenant..."Thanks Rigsby" :P

And? There are plenty of honest landlords.

Yes, and some of them request CASH ONLY!

Why would I go to the hassle of getting cash out so he can avoid tax?

I can see you're struggling with this. We've tried to help you, but you're not getting it.

and you didnt state a single one.

You missed them, I gave several in a previous post, pay more attention.

Do you know how few banks now offer over the counter money withdrawals, I bank with HSBC and I found out a couple of months ago that it'll take well over a 10 mile journey to withdraw the money, and none of the branches local to me offered the service. With the banks closing at 15:30 it becomes a serious hassle to withdraw the money, trying to fit it around work commitments.

The HSBC I use in Rotherham on College street closes at 5pm (6pm on a Friday). No problem withdrawing the amounts mentioned.

You tolerate rubbish opening hours, from a bank that puts restrictions on you accessing your own money, and you waste time making a ten mile journey for the displeasure of it all You deserve to have the seriously large hassle that you speak of for not getting a grip and taking action to make some changes in your life. Sorry to sound harsh, but you cannot expect someone else to do it all for you.

Edited by alternageek
Fixied quote tags

The HSBC I use in Rotherham on College street closes at 5pm (6pm on a Friday). No problem withdrawing the amounts mentioned.

You tolerate rubbish opening hours, from a bank that puts restrictions on you accessing your own money, and you waste time making a ten mile journey for the displeasure of it all You deserve to have the seriously large hassle that you speak of for not getting a grip and taking action to make some changes in your life. Sorry to sound harsh, but you cannot expect someone else to do it all for you.

You knocked that one right out of the park mart!

We both seem to bank with the same bank so we must have the same tolerances of what we expect from our banks. Anyway I didn't have the hassle of making the journey because the builder that did the work for me lived in the 21st century and he accepted a bank transfer when I explained the situation.

What you seem to forget, and the whole point of our cosy little chat, is that as a landlord you provide a service, if you didn't accept a standing order or something similar as payment I'd judge you to be offering a sub-standard service and I'd go else where.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Since when does the tenant give the orders. :hihi:

No likey no renty... Tell him no indeed. I can't stop laughing

When there are more landlords offering similar properties to rent in any particular area than there are tenants wanting to rent it. It's called 'market forces'.

This attitude is exactly the reason why Landlords have to take a very tough stance with prospective tenants from the outset. Extensive checks before even agreeing to let to them. And most importantly, NEVER EVER rent to anyone unless you have seen them in their current home, that one visit will tell you everything you need to know about a potential tenant.
Not always necessary. I have been a student landlord for years and I have never visited my prospective tenants in their parents' home or their first year Hall of Residence and rarely in the property they rent before mine. If I were to do that it would cost me a fortune driving around the country to check up on them. No chance! I meet them all, I speak to their parents, their parents sign a Deed of Guarantee. And in all these years nobody has ever defaulted on the rent or lost all their deposit.

You must attract dodgier prospective tenants than I do, Coutts :hihi:

Edited by aliceBB

I've rented places since I was a student in 1994 and still rent now, and I have never paid rent in cash or ever been asked to do so. I simply don't understand why any landlord would want to be paid in cash and have to visit the tenant monthly in order to collect it.

Unless your tenant is totally untrustworthy that is.

Everyone would surely want to pay and be paid by electronic means? It's just better in any way imaginable.

Surely only Arthur Daley from Minder would want to have a wallet stuffed full of 50s? Arthur wasn't dodgy, was he?

All my Tenants pay rent into a bank account... most do it via transfer. One pays the money into a branch... at their side it's cash, but at my side it's always just money landing in my account. They're the one-off.

I cannot envisage going around each month to collect. I cannot think I'd want to do this as a Tenant, I'd probably not want to be seeing my Landlord on such a regular and frequent basis. My properties are in very good nick, so I expect - mostly - to leave the Tenants be and let them get on with their lives. I'm there if needs be, but I don't want to be going around all the time... hmm, maybe if I wanted to be claiming more miles at 45p per mile on my self-assessment.

It's like all my Tenants will get in touch with me via email or text message... I really don't want them writing letters (or telegrams) to me... that's so 90s (1890s)... as is cash. Bank transfers give me a long-lived record held securely by a third party - I like that, I don't want to be responsible for paper receipts and suchlike. Therefore I admit that I'd be wary of a Landlord who demanded "just cash".

You mean exactly like everyone does in the real world with a builder,plumber, pc repairer.

I think not.

The only danger with a cash payment is if a dispute ever arises,otherwise where's the problem.

Buying a one of item or service is quite different to paying for somewhere to live on an ongoing basis.