Predict outcome of Scottish Referendum here

predict outcome of Scottish referendum here  

67 members have voted

1. 1. predict outcome of Scottish referendum here

• YES 50% + 1 vote NO 50% -1 vote
    • NO 50% +1 vote YES 50% -1 vote
    • other (please specify)

you are getting your late 17th century - early 18th century financial crises, mixed up.

what you mean is not the South Sea Bubble but the earlier abject failure of the Darien Scheme http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme to establish a Scottish Empire in the New World in emulation of and also in competition to the English one. It totally bankrupted Scotland and hastened the Union of 1707.

You are quite correct I got my Scottish disasters mixed up. :)

That's what comes of posting without checking.

The strange thing is that the Scots have a well known reputation for being 'careful' :D with money.

I wonder if that came about as a result of those two incidents?

Heard on the radio yesterday that whilst those who have already decided are in the majority for a No vote, the undecideds are steadily moving towards a Yes.

The bullying, hectoring, negative No campaign is pushing people towards the yes vote. The mistakes of the yes side haven't been as damaging as first thought.

Expect the SNP to focus on 'heart' not 'head' issues, along the lines of 'dont throw away this one chance'.

The Yes campaign know they are behind, so have more motivation to keep pushing.

Heard on the radio yesterday that whilst those who have already decided are in the majority for a No vote, the undecideds are steadily moving towards a Yes.

The most recent poll put the No camp in front by 55 to 45 among those who've made their mind up. If this continues to narrow it could be a storming last month. If the actual vote is less than 5% against independence the issue will not go away.

---------- Post added 19-08-2014 at 08:34 ----------

Have the Scottish Nationalist party picked a post independence name yet?

Yes. They'll continue to be called the Scottish National Party, not the Scottish Nationalist Party.

Edited by LeMaquis

You are quite correct I got my Scottish disasters mixed up. :)

don't worry about it it is an easy mistake to make. People can similarly confuse the Tay Bridge and Quintinshill Scottish train disasters too even though 36 years seperates them. Because it was so spectacular, Tay Bridge gets all the glory, whereas few people have ever heard of Quintinshill, despite the loss of life being almost three times more. All I know is that whenever I get on a train to Scotland, which I will be doing about 2 weeks before the poll, I wish myself luck. Scottish trains, are dodgy.

Whether the Scots vote Yes or No is it time for a more federal system throughout either the entire UK or what is left after Scotland leaves?

Surely it makes sense, with London under both Livingstone and Boris showing an independent streak, Wales having devolved powers, why not an Assembly of the North combining the area south of Scotland to, say, Nottingham, beyond that an Assembly of the Midlands etc etc.

Devolve power within the UK make each region more responsible for NHS, Police, Social services etc, leaving national issues with Westminster.