Oborne Street Pitsmoor

isnt that where the Wembley was on oborne street, my memory is fading a bit though.

Yes, that's where it was, there was another similar play ground on Sutherland road and I believe the locals used to call that Wembley also. I don't know where the name "Wembley" comes from, maybe some one on here can explain...

The "Oborne Street" on the google map is or was actually Railway Street. Oborne Street ran from Marcus Street. (no longer on the map) down to Railway Street. (marked oborne Street on the map) Marcus Street ran between Rock Street and Brunswick Road. The latter also known locally as "Champs Hill"

I lived on Fitzalan St a lot of years ago at the bottom of the St was Railway St,turn left,and the first St on the left was Denhome St and on the right hand side was a very high black stone wall at the other side of the wall was the railway Sheffield to Manchester and Bridgehouses goods yard,the wall finished at the bottom of Oborne St a play park with swings the flying plank and roundabouts was on the right hand side half way up the rest of the St on both sides had various types of houses,it joined Marcus St which passed the top of Denhome St across Fitzalan St and finished at Rock St directly acoss was Fox hill which is still there

• 7 months later...

Hi, Oborne st pitsmoor was where I was brought up, my father worked on the railway and the wall at the bottom as you said was where the goods yard was. In the street was a playground where I spent many happy hours on the flying plank etc. I used to walk over the railway bridge to get into the city and at the top was Spittle Hill, anyone remember?

I've seen someone mention the wembley on another forum - don't know what it was though - football field I guess?

If you're looking for Edgar Street on the Google aerial map, it ran parallel between Petre Street and Earsham Street and bordered at each end by Harleston Street and Lyons Street (The street that was below it, Thorndon Road has also gone forever.) Ironically as we didn't have a proper football pitch when I was a kid, that piece of grassed over land is now used to play football. As for your father- in-law, I might know him, I was born in the next street.

Edited by stpetre
mis-spell

Yes, that's where it was, there was another similar play ground on Sutherland road and I believe the locals used to call that Wembley also. I don't know where the name "Wembley" comes from, maybe some one on here can explain...

The name Little Wembley as they were usually known, were the council provided swings, roundabouts and rockinghorse type of places and at least two in Pitsmoor had that name. I suppose other areas had the same sort of facility, there was one in the Coleridge Road area that had the same nickname.

The one nearest to my house was the Sutherland Road one and over half of it was an asphalt covered vast corner at Sutherland Rd and Forncett Street and ideal for a ball game but the 'parkies' forbade it and only little girls bouncing tennis balls were allowed to utilise that space. the only 'recs' we had around there with proper football space -no goalposts though- were Burngreave rec at Danville Street- Pye Bank rec (a little too far for most of us) and another piece of land between Petre Street and Carlisle Street East off Garter Street. Other than that kids had to go to places like Firth / Longley Park and as Abbeyfield Park was closer, I don't think they even liked kids going in there let alone to play football. The most ironic thing about this is that after the re-development of the area and we'd all grown up, they built-around 1977- little soccer field at the triangle of Earldom Street, Petre Street and Ellesmere Road complete with, I ask you! floodlights,. now that's a Little Wembley.

The name Little Wembley as they were usually known, were the council provided swings, roundabouts and rockinghorse type of places and at least two in Pitsmoor had that name. I suppose other areas had the same sort of facility, there was one in the Coleridge Road area that had the same nickname.

The one nearest to my house was the Sutherland Road one and over half of it was an asphalt covered vast corner at Sutherland Rd and Forncett Street and ideal for a ball game but the 'parkies' forbade it and only little girls bouncing tennis balls were allowed to utilise that space. the only 'recs' we had around there with proper football space -no goalposts though- were Burngreave rec at Danville Street- Pye Bank rec (a little too far for most of us) and another piece of land between Petre Street and Carlisle Street East off Garter Street. Other than that kids had to go to places like Firth / Longley Park and as Abbeyfield Park was closer, I don't think they even liked kids going in there let alone to play football. The most ironic thing about this is that after the re-development of the area and we'd all grown up, they built-around 1977- little soccer field at the triangle of Earldom Street, Petre Street and Ellesmere Road complete with, I ask you! floodlights,. now that's a Little Wembley.

Wasn't it known as Champs? You went down some stone steps to it. Twenty a side football every night until it went dark.

Hi, Oborne st pitsmoor was where I was brought up, my father worked on the railway and the wall at the bottom as you said was where the goods yard was. In the street was a playground where I spent many happy hours on the flying plank etc. I used to walk over the railway bridge to get into the city and at the top was Spittle Hill, anyone remember?

my Grandma lived near the railway lines but i can't remember the name of the street, it was the first on the right going up Rock street, you got into the yard where she lived from one of the steepest gennels I have ever seen. At the end was a large grass bank where someone had a large (to us as we were only young) angry goat