Oborne Street Pitsmoor

Bizarre - if you now look at Google maps, or click my original link, Oborne Street is no longer marked on the map. Are they watching us?

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 23:25 ----------

If you're looking for Edgar Street on the Google aerial map, it ran parallel between Petre Street and Earsham Street and bordered at each end by Harleston Street and Lyons Street (The street that was below it, Thorndon Road has also gone forever.) Ironically as we didn't have a proper football pitch when I was a kid, that piece of grassed over land is now used to play football. As for your father- in-law, I might know him, I was born in the next street.

He says he might know you, if your name is David?

Would that be Mr [Michael] Gott's Goat?

don't know if it was only that it was vicious and we had to pass it to go up a gennel to the play ground, it's chain was just short enough to let you scuttle past

Bizarre - if you now look at Google maps, or click my original link, Oborne Street is no longer marked on the map. Are they watching us?

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 23:25 ----------

He says he might know you, if your name is David?

Yes it is.

Hi, Oborne st pitsmoor was where I was brought up, my father worked on the railway and the wall at the bottom as you said was where the goods yard was. In the street was a playground where I spent many happy hours on the flying plank etc. I used to walk over the railway bridge to get into the city and at the top was Spittle Hill, anyone remember?

Hi it was great to see Oborne St mentioned and the playground it was called the Wembly My Dad was a shunter at Brigdehouses goods yard over the wall we lived on Fitzalan st so he only had to walk down the street to work I also started as a messenger lad at the yard when I left school,I also spent as you quoted in the playgroud on the Flying Plank and did shopping for my Mother on Spittal Hill Thangs for the Memories

Is my memory playing tricks, or can i remember cast iron rocking horses in wembley, plus they was taken out of wembley because too many kids had accidents on them, but, the foundations where left there, going back about 60years though.

Yes I remember the cast iron rocking horses,painted dark green if my memory serves me right,they were bloody cold in the winter when we had short pants on.

Edited by Kidorry

Is my memory playing tricks, or can i remember cast iron rocking horses in wembley, plus they was taken out of wembley because too many kids had accidents on them, but, the foundations where left there, going back about 60years though.

Depends which Wembley you mean. I don't recall the Sutherland Road one having stuff taken away and most of the accidents there involved kids getting hit with swings. As for the 'Flying Plank' they didn't have one there and by the very description of the object I think they may have been removed from certain parks. whatever had one. And the rocking horses, they're are some (one?) now painted as Zebras, that was relocated to the 'Pitsmoor Adventure Playground' at Burngreave Street/ Melrose Road that were previously at some Pismoor playground Sutherland Road/ Abbeyfield Park or Pye Bank or wherever.

Edited by stpetre
addition

Further to my earlier reply, I can add that my mother-in-law does remember the playground being called Little Wembley. Life has taught me that there is nothing to be gained by intervening in a difference of opinion between mother and daughter, so I leave you to be the judges!

JohnE

Depends which Wembley you mean. I don't recall the Sutherland Road one having stuff taken away and most of the accidents there involved kids getting hit with swings. As for the 'Flying Plank' they didn't have one there and by the very description of the object I think they may have been removed from certain parks. whatever had one. And the rocking horses, they're are some (one?) now painted as Zebras, that was relocated to the 'Pitsmoor Adventure Playground' at Burngreave Street/ Melrose Road that were previously at some Pismoor playground Sutherland Road/ Abbeyfield Park or

Pye Bank or wherever.

my bold

i hope ime not facetious but the thread is Oborne Street Pitsmoor

my Grandma lived near the railway lines but i can't remember the name of the street, it was the first on the right going up Rock street, you got into the yard where she lived from one of the steepest gennels I have ever seen. At the end was a large grass bank where someone had a large (to us as we were only young) angry goat

Hi I think the street you mentioned was Railway street, on the righthand side was a tall blackstone wall which went to a metal bridge which went over the railway and the Bridgehouses goods yard. opposite was Fitzalan st where I lived,the stone wall continued further down opposite the wall was Denholme St the wall ended at the bottom of Orbourn st

Hi I think the street you mentioned was Railway street, on the righthand side was a tall blackstone wall which went to a metal bridge which went over the railway and the Bridgehouses goods yard. opposite was Fitzalan st where I lived,the stone wall continued further down opposite the wall was Denholme St the wall ended at the bottom of Orbourn st
Here is an old map..:)

I lived on Fitzalan St a lot of years ago at the bottom of the St was Railway St,turn left,and the first St on the left was Denhome St and on the right hand side was a very high black stone wall at the other side of the wall was the railway Sheffield to Manchester and Bridgehouses goods yard,the wall finished at the bottom of Oborne St a play park with swings the flying plank and roundabouts was on the right hand side half way up the rest of the St on both sides had various types of houses,it joined Marcus St which passed the top of Denhome St across Fitzalan St and finished at Rock St directly acoss was Fox hill which is still there

I had and Uncle and Aunt Horace and Barbara Allen who lived on Denhome street in a little cottage in the early 60s. In the same yard as he lived there was a horse and cart ....think it may have been a rag and bone man.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 15:30 ----------

Thanks for the maps Hillsbro!!