The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

6 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Getting the 'wrong' answer for a second time?

Unless they make the result mandatory, there is no right or wrong answer in an advisory referendum.

8 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What are these grave consequences?

A split in the Labour and Conservative party which could lead to a 3 or more party system, that would lead to PR.

Heaven forbid our electoral system could change   😱

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Unless they make the result mandatory, there is no right or wrong answer in an advisory referendum.

Even if it was mandatory, why would there be a 'right' or 'wrong' answer?

14 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Labour has asked the BBC for unseen footage of last week’s Question Time and demanded a correction during next week’s episode as a row over the show’s treatment of Diane Abbott deepened. 

The party has made a formal complaint to the broadcaster over what it called the “unacceptable” treatment of Ms Abbott, the shadow home secretary.

The Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP was interrupted twice as many times as the Conservative MP on the panel, justice minister Rory Stewart, according to Labour.

The show’s new host, Fiona Bruce, is also reported to have made a joke during the warm-up, part of which implied Ms Abbott had been given her shadow cabinet role because of her past relationship with Jeremy Corbyn. The BBC refused to confirm or deny the claim.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-question-time-fiona-bruce-bbc-video-footage-poll-labour-a8737161.html?fbclid=IwAR3JF3TvqoFhpE6FaREN94uiWZSl9EFNZFAwhKLbrvKirYe01QdCOATKfy8

I wasn't sure about Fiona Bruce replacing David Dimbleby at first, but Thursday's Question Time was thoroughly enjoyable.

Edited by WiseOwl182

14 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I wasn't sure about Fiona Bruce replacing David Dimbleby at first, but Thursday's Question Time was thoroughly enjoyable.

Is it meant to be 'enjoyable' at the expense of informing the general public?

24 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Even if it was mandatory, why would there be a 'right' or 'wrong' answer?

well, she certainly made it clear whose side she was on.

Guest makapaka
47 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What are these grave consequences?

Any you can think of in a country where a democratic vote is seen as worthless and therefore not respected by people.

Take your pick. 

On another point - what would happen if the outcome of a second referendum was 51/49 to remain. What would the government take from that return?

9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Is it meant to be 'enjoyable' at the expense of informing the general public?

I'm not sure it does inform the general public as the bulk of the politicians on there simply parrot party lines and the 'professional guests' like Melanie Philips are so predictable that you know what they have to say on an issue before they open their mouthes.

The only time I ever feel I've learned something new is when an intelligent lay guest is on (Eddie Izzard springs to mine) or a curved ball question is thrown by an audience member that takes the politicians so far out of their comfort zones that they are forced to think about it and even sometimes give a truthful answer. Even the famous Dick Griffin episode didn't inform me of anything that I didn't already know other than he sweats a lot which never looks good on the television.

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

On another point - what would happen if the outcome of a second referendum was 51/49 to remain. What would the government take from that return?

That once again there is no majority among the public to leave the EU therefore the default position stays, which is to remain in the EU.

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'm not sure it does inform the general public as the bulk of the politicians on there simply parrot party lines and the 'professional guests' like Melanie Philips are so predictable that you know what they have to say on an issue before they open their mouthes.

The only time I ever feel I've learned something new is when an intelligent lay guest is on (Eddie Izzard springs to mine) or a curved ball question is thrown by an audience member that takes the politicians so far out of their comfort zones that they are forced to think about it and even sometimes give a truthful answer. Even the famous Dick Griffin episode didn't inform me of anything that I didn't already know other than he sweats a lot which never looks good on the television.

That once again there is no majority among the public to leave the EU therefore the default position stays, which is to remain in the EU.

51/49 is a majority.

4 minutes ago, makapaka said:

51/49 is a majority.

But a smaller one than 52/48, so Leave would win on 'goal difference', or possibly a case for best of 3.

19 minutes ago, makapaka said:

51/49 is a majority.

Not of the public, which is what we were discussing.

Guest makapaka
59 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not of the public, which is what we were discussing.

I’m talking in terms of % of the public. 51% would be a majority

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

I’m talking in terms of % of the public. 51% would be a majority

I think you are confusing the public with those who bothered to vote in the referendum.

They are not the same thing.