The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

5 minutes ago, makapaka said:

But you could run exactly the same argument about a governmental vote -

it doesn’t mean you just have a new one because opinions change every few months in the polls.

No, because governments are elected on a whole raft of policies and not everyone agrees with everything in all manifestos but will vote for the party which best reflects their aspirations. Also tinkering with tax policy, investment in the NHS  or putting insurance premium tax up or down can easily be reversed after an election.

This however, was a simple binary choice about an issue which could make the difference between the UK being a top five economy and very quickly dropping out of the top twenty. Because of the seriousness of the consequences of any change, it should only be done with the support of the population especially as if we leave the EU we could never go back on the same terms.

Guest makapaka
21 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, because governments are elected on a whole raft of policies and not everyone agrees with everything in all manifestos but will vote for the party which best reflects their aspirations. Also tinkering with tax policy, investment in the NHS  or putting insurance premium tax up or down can easily be reversed after an election.

This however, was a simple binary choice about an issue which could make the difference between the UK being a top five economy and very quickly dropping out of the top twenty. Because of the seriousness of the consequences of any change, it should only be done with the support of the population especially as if we leave the EU we could never go back on the same terms.

But it already has been given the support of the population - what are you talking about?

4 minutes ago, makapaka said:

But it already has been given the support of the population - what are you talking about?

My maths was never great but 25% of the population and 37% of the electorate doesn't count as support.

Edited by Top Cats Hat

Guest makapaka
2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

My maths was never great but 25% of the population and 37% of the electorate doesn't count as support.

There was a 72% turnout and 52/48 majority?

What are you on about?

16 minutes ago, makapaka said:

There was a 72% turnout and 52/48 majority?

What are you on about?

OK, let us reduce this to a simple question.

Do the majority of the population of the UK support leaving the EU.

Simple answer, yes or no?

39 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

OK, let us reduce this to a simple question.

Do the majority of the population of the UK support leaving the EU.

Simple answer, yes or no?

The majority of people in the only measured process that has relevance supported leaving the EU. 

Nuts to your 1001 attempts to spin the numbers or make up nonsense definitions or raising all this horse crap about non-voters and dont knows.  None of that matters a jot.

The ELECTORATE is all that counts.  

Out of that total electorate a majority apportionment made the effort to go out and cast a vote in the referendum which was ageed upon by a majority of our electred representatives in the house of commons   It was a 2 option vote.     The result was a majority voting to leave. 

Leave won.

550+ pages in and you are trying this pathetic denial of simple facts.

Oh, one final interesting thing.    If you take away Scotland and NI who have their own devolved parliaments (and try to distance themselves from Westminster as much as they can get away with anyway) the result for England alone was more definative.   In fact it was over 53% for leave and 46.5% remain.       Breaking it down further for Yorkshire alone the result is even more definite with just under 58% voting for leave over just 42% remain. 

A lot less grey area when you actually look at the numbers.    For this region I would say the vote was pretty crystal clear what the majority wanted.   Our elected representatives need to realise that and tread carefully. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
additional details.

14 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The ELECTORATE is all that counts.  

I couldn't agree more!

And of that electorate 37% vote to leave and 36% voted to stay.

So I will ask again, where has the population of the UK as a whole, expressed a desire to leave the EU?

21 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I couldn't agree more!

And of that electorate 37% vote to leave and 36% voted to stay.

So I will ask again, where has the population of the UK as a whole, expressed a desire to leave the EU?

What the hell are you talking about?    37 + 36 = 73  What has happened to the other 27%

Total number of votes cast = 100%

(minus) spolit ballots (100% - 0.08%)

Subtotal = 99.92% votes counted.

(divide) between Option A or Option B

= referendum result (50:50 balance) or (x% majority)

Junior school mathematics here.    You do know how this works right?    

Edited by ECCOnoob
simplification.

At the risk of repeating myself, this is the Labour Party Thread, NOT the Brexit thread.

Back on topic.

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I agree, but criticising her intelligence when she is clearly way more intelligent than either you or I when you wouldn't level the same criticism of a white Labour politician does arouse suspicions.

I certainly do fire bombs at white Liebour politicians, Mandelson is one of them, Prescott another, Bliar another of my "white" targets. 

I don't see any response to my selection of Abbott gaffs, I have to ask, why no response, or am I racist for asking?.

Angel1.

10 hours ago, sheffbag said:

she wouldnt get in with 130. 

and if she hadnt done the test how would she know her score.

Applying to join Mensa isn't the only way to do an IQ test, even a properly administered one.

IQ tests 'do not reflect intelligence'

IQ tests are misleading because they do not accurately reflect intelligence, according to a study which found that a minimum of three different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html