The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

We've just had our first election leaflet. It's from the Labour Party which is fine. However it says nothing about the new candidate for Hillsborough and Brightside one Harry Harpham, it's all about the candidate for Hallam - Oliver Coppard.

On the front of the leaflet it says he was born and raised here, and inside it points out that he still lives here. I'm all in favour of local candidates, but I'd be more impressed if they made sure their leaflets were being delivered to their constituents. ;).

Yes, I got that one too. I do wish they'd stop saying daft things like I grew up around here so I know what it's like.

Yes, I got that one too. I do wish they'd stop saying daft things like I grew up around here so I know what it's like.

being a local politician it usually means they've slimed their way through a local council, greased their way up the party ladder and probably had their house paid for by one of the Unions.

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 13:51 ----------

I like this new claim, fantasy at it's best.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32083668

Labour would cap the amount of profit private firms can make from the NHS in England, Ed Miliband has said as he launched the party's election campaign.

He pledged to halt the "the tide of privatisation" he claims has taken place in the health service since 2010 and ensure a "proper" level of funding.

Private firms will have to reimburse the NHS if they exceed a 5% profit cap on contracts, he told activists.

The Conservatives said the move was an "ill-thought through gimmick".

When Labour start thinking of dabbling with the free market and forcing weird rules and regulations you really have to wonder what go's through their mind at times.

Edited by geared

being a local politician it usually means they've slimed their way through a local council, greased their way up the party ladder and probably had their house paid for by one of the Unions.

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 13:51 ----------

I like this new claim, fantasy at it's best.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32083668

When Labour start thinking of dabbling with the free market and forcing weird rules and regulations you really have to wonder what go's through their mind at times.

It's a good idea if you ask me, why shouldn't they do that? and what's that got to do with what I said?

It's a good idea if you ask me, why shouldn't they do that? and what's that got to do with what I said?

Nothing really.

It's a silly idea, because it's such a nothing promise.

Do they have the legal power to do it??

sounds alot like the capping of energy prices, which they also didn't have the legal ability to do.

but further more if you tell them they're only allowed to make 5% profit, they'll tell you then only made 5% profit.

It's well known accountants can run rings round HMRC and have done for years, something like this they'd just adjust their 'costs' until the required profit number was reached.

So in my opinion, it's a silly idea as it will never work and it's a silly idea because I don't think they've even got the legal ability to put it in place.

Had a Labour canvasser at my door earlier. I gave him short shrift and sent him away with a flea in his ear. I imagine he will be getting similar responses from many other people.

but further more if you tell them they're only allowed to make 5% profit, they'll tell you then only made 5% profit.

Correct..they'd just pay the directors more etc...

It means the companies have no incentive to be efficient. It essentially turns NHS contracts into cost plus ones and suppliers will charge as much as they can to boost their profits. That's ignoring all the financial shenanigans they'll get up to to hide the real profits they are making.

It means the companies have no incentive to be efficient. It essentially turns NHS contracts into cost plus ones and suppliers will charge as much as they can to boost their profits. That's ignoring all the financial shenanigans they'll get up to to hide the real profits they are making.

That's capitalism for you, isn't it?

Had a Labour canvasser at my door earlier. I gave him short shrift and sent him away with a flea in his ear. I imagine he will be getting similar responses from many other people.

You got fleas HH?

That's capitalism for you, isn't it?

Yes, but Miliband should be concentrating on minimising the amount we spend on private suppliers to the NHS not proposing policies that disguise the fact that that he'll allow them to continue providing poor value for money.

Its all over.

The Labour party should cover itself with a shroud and walk slowly towards the graveyard.

They have betrayed their constituents, ruined the economy sent troops to fight illegal wars. caused the slaughter of thousands.

They and anyone who supports them should feel deep deep shame.

Yes, but Miliband should be concentrating on minimising the amount we spend on private suppliers to the NHS not proposing policies that disguise the fact that that he'll allow them to continue providing poor value for money.

Or not at all, but at least Labour support the NHS unlike the tories and UKIP, even if they say the do. No doubt Cameron will be soon playing his ace card - We won't destroy the NHS because they looked after my son while he was dying