Healthy 'fast food' outlets, are there any?

A typical thread full of fatty's making excuses for being fat.

I have the same options as you, and I'm not fat.

I CHOOSE to eat healthily.

I CHOOSE to exercise.

You fatty's can too.

The shops are full of fatty stuff because fatty's eat it, not the other way round.

The main problem here isn't the availability of bad food. It's the lack of responsibility for your own actions. You just want someone else to blame for that fact that you are to mentally weak to control yourself.

You really do need to 'grow a pair' (and I don't mean big fat bingo wings).

I am not fat and eat reasonably healthy

I don't understand where you are coming from :huh:

No it didn't. Eating processed foods with a deadly mixture or sugar and fat, is what makes us fat.

It all depends on the quantities, like I said earlier.

I CHOOSE to exercise.

You fatty's can too.

The shops are full of fatty stuff because fatty's eat it, not the other way round.

The main problem here isn't the availability of bad food. It's the lack of responsibility for your own actions. You just want someone else to blame for that fact that you are to mentally weak to control yourself.

So you are saying food producers/retailers have no responsibility in this? That is interesting because even they are beginning to see the light when it comes to it. It won't be long before we will see tobacco-style mass court cases against food industry.

hopefully most kids are only allowed to go these places occasionally not on a regular basis

whenever I pass a McDonalds it is always packed though

That is because McD uses "flavourings" (which is just dried powders) to get that nice and yummy feeling as if you are genuinely eating something nicely cooked and delicious. While in reality, it is nothing more than dried powders.

The other reason why people do not tend to go for other kind of food is that, restaurant do not think about the complexity of making something tastes yummy and delicious.

Just like reading the other thread now about cabbage. All vegetables that are green shall taste bitter. This is a given, but how come they can tastes so delicious when it is in a written recipe ? That is because another flavour from another ingredient is added.

The other thing is also addiction, when someone is used to a habit, then they will stick with it. Even when you step back and tried different food, and removing these pre-salted burgers or chicken, then you will indeed get that "full on" flavour again.

When you eat too much salt, your tongue and taste buds are basically dead. It thickens. Same thing happens with sugar as well. So because your taste buds do not have that sensitivity any more, you just tend to go for volume, rather than actual taste. Your brain thinks you are eating good food, but your body doesn't have the mechanism to detect and reject whether it is good food or not any more because it is no longer working properly.

I have not eaten McD or KFC for a long while. If I do that, I can definitely now subtly taste the salt in them.

----------

By the way, the French, the Greek, and the Italians all rejected manufacturing chains. They got it very spot on. Each day you can go to the local grocers, and get fresh produce. Each day, you can casually go out and walk along your own village or city and sit in a nice simple cafe and eat good food. They take it SO seriously. It is really one of the fundamental needs for humans.

I have no idea how badly UK has gotten. Really badly.

Edited by salsafan

Is it though?? Is it easy to work 40/50 hours a week, bring up a family, maintain your house and still have time to take regular exercise? I think it's bloody hard to be honest!

It's a lot easier to eat healthy though. Although, it's also easy to call in the chippy or shove some crap in the microwave.

You don't have to go to a gym to exercise, you can be (more) active at work. Even if you're sat in front of a computer for 40+ hours a week you should get up & move around. Take a walk at lunchtimes, use the stairs, etc. Standing desks are a fad that might catch on too.

You need to do some of both, you can't just eat healthily & slob around all day.

I don't think chippys are as bad as the big fast food chains, at least if you're ordering fish & it's a decent chippy. Not all sandwich shops, restaurants & cafes are bad, even some pubs do ok food now. Just stay away from the heavily processed food that the big corporations are pushing in chain restaurants, pubs, fast food & supermarkets.

Edited by anywebsite

Is it though?? Is it easy to work 40/50 hours a week, bring up a family, maintain your house and still have time to take regular exercise? I think it's bloody hard to be honest!

It's a lot easier to eat healthy though. Although, it's also easy to call in the chippy or shove some crap in the microwave.

But nobody should work a 40/50 hour week, that is the whole point. It is NOT a life. Most countries have a 37 hour week, and this is the "statistical" optimal point. So you cannot blame or think to put the blame on other areas of life when the one causing the most problem is affecting your health in the biggest of ways.

These days, projects will always be ongoing, and people will always be fired. Jobs shall always change, but you have one health. I would walk out if it hits 37 hours. In the end, if you do not pace yourself, it is your own health at risk, and then you get more angry and grumpy. You put it to your children, you put it to your neighbours, you become more and more of an angry person. It causes anxiety, indigestion, and other health issues, which builds up slowly hidden inside of you.

I CHOOSE to exercise.

You fatty's can too.

Brilliant!..and there was me thinking you were called Fatty Sidebottom :hihi:

It all depends on the quantities, like I said earlier.

No it doesn't. Like I said earlier.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 12:53 ----------

But nobody should work a 40/50 hour week, that is the whole point. It is NOT a life. Most countries have a 37 hour week, and this is the "statistical" optimal point. So you cannot blame or think to put the blame on other areas of life when the one causing the most problem is affecting your health in the biggest of ways.

These days, projects will always be ongoing, and people will always be fired. Jobs shall always change, but you have one health. I would walk out if it hits 37 hours. In the end, if you do not pace yourself, it is your own health at risk, and then you get more angry and grumpy. You put it to your children, you put it to your neighbours, you become more and more of an angry person. It causes anxiety, indigestion, and other health issues, which builds up slowly hidden inside of you.

The 37 hour week is something people put in place because they have to. People work over time. Plus, you try finding a job that pays £50k a year that doesn't demand 40/50 hours of your time a week, regardless of your contracted hours. That's not to mention self employed people, who can work even longer hours for less money.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 12:56 ----------

You don't have to go to a gym to exercise, you can be (more) active at work. Even if you're sat in front of a computer for 40+ hours a week you should get up & move around. Take a walk at lunchtimes, use the stairs, etc. Standing desks are a fad that might catch on too.

You need to do some of both, you can't just eat healthily & slob around all day.

I don't think chippys are as bad as the big fast food chains, at least if you're ordering fish & it's a decent chippy. Not all sandwich shops, restaurants & cafes are bad, even some pubs do ok food now. Just stay away from the heavily processed food that the big corporations are pushing in chain restaurants, pubs, fast food & supermarkets.

I know you don't have to go to the gym to exercise. But you still have to take time out to do it. I'm on my feet all day when I'm working, but if I didn't exercise in the evenings or when I'm off work, I'd get fat, very quickly. I can certainly understand why some people want to veg out after a long day at work.

What I can't understand is why supermarkets can still get away with putting sweets and chocolates on the end of the tills. They are purposefully targeting children.

Edited by Bonzo77

If you're on your feet all day at work for 40+ hours that's already more exercise than people with typical office jobs. I have to take some time out to make an effort to just do a minimal amount of exercise so I don't seize up. Can eat as healthy as you like but it's still bad if you do no exercise at all.

What I can't understand is why people continue to buy such bad food & why these supermarkets make huge profits with the quality just getting worse. Look at how much of the supermarket is dedicated to crisps, biscuits, sweets, pop, alcohol, ready meals. Most of their shelf space is really unhealthy stuff.

Supermarkets get away with whatever their customers let them get away with. They do what they think will make them the most profit.

Edited by anywebsite

Not so much what you eat.

Its more... HOW MUCH you eat.

If you're on your feet all day at work for 40+ hours that's already more exercise than people with typical office jobs.

What I can't understand is why people continue to buy such bad food & why these supermarkets make huge profits with the quality just getting worse. Look at how much of the supermarket is dedicated to crisps, biscuits, sweets, ready meals.

Supermarkets get away with whatever their customers let them get away with.

Again, food retailers have a responsibility here.

I don't know if you are aware but there are countless studies into consumer behaviour, they predict what a consumer will buy and how to ensure a sale. Supermarkets have mastered this in particular. When I walk into my local Morrisons I get fruit and veg as I walk in: "We are healthy!" I also get pies, roast chickens, pizzas and other unhealthy food, but just out of the immediate line of sight "Look you just bought healthy veg, surely you can now buy that naughty pie! Look, it is even on discount!"

Then walking to get some milk I don't just pass sensible stuff, no, I pass fridges full of 'special offers' Aunt Bessie's apple crumble pies, Hagendasz icecream, chips and so on.

It is just the way that things work. It is really easy to claim 'responsibility' and 'consumer choice' but in actual fact I don't think you would want to scan and post your last groceries receipt because you know you have fallen for these tricks, just like everybody else.

Not so much what you eat.

Its more... HOW MUCH you eat.

It's both. Poor quality food leaves you feeling unsatisfied & makes you want to eat more. You miss out on vitamins & other vital nutrients. The balance between fats, carbs & protein gets messed up too.

It's not just obesity it causes either, all kinds of scary health problems.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 13:21 ----------

Again, food retailers have a responsibility here.

I don't know if you are aware but there are countless studies into consumer behaviour, they predict what a consumer will buy and how to ensure a sale. Supermarkets have mastered this in particular. When I walk into my local Morrisons I get fruit and veg as I walk in: "We are healthy!" I also get pies, roast chickens, pizzas and other unhealthy food, but just out of the immediate line of sight "Look you just bought healthy veg, surely you can now buy that naughty pie! Look, it is even on discount!"

Then walking to get some milk I don't just pass sensible stuff, no, I pass fridges full of 'special offers' Aunt Bessie's apple crumble pies, Hagendasz icecream, chips and so on.

It is just the way that things work. It is really easy to claim 'responsibility' and 'consumer choice' but in actual fact I don't think you would want to scan and post your last groceries receipt because you know you have fallen for these tricks, just like everybody else.

They do, they're masters of psychology & everything is set up to trick you into buying the things they make the most profit on. Same reason you just go in for bread & milk and spend £30. They manage to brainwash everybody into thinking it's 'good value' too.

I've been weaning myself off big supermarkets, using the market & smaller shops. They don't trick you into buying more than you need or unhealthy options and it's easier to find fresh healthy food. It's still a choice whether you go in a supermarket or not, there are still some smaller alternatives left.

Edited by anywebsite