Healthy 'fast food' outlets, are there any?

when I was a kid in the 60's

there were no fast food outlets

was there an obesity problem then .... NO

does this tell us something....its not rocket science to work it out

and everything has to be supersize..............as the portions get bigger so does the population

They all have healthy options, its up to you to choose them, fish and salad instead of fish and chips would be a very healthy option, they will even steam the fish for you if you ask.

McDonald's

Premium Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken and low-fat balsamic vinaigrette plus Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait; 375 calories, 9.5g fat (4g saturated)

Grilled Honey Mustard Snack Wrap plus small french fries; 480 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated)

Subway

6" Subway Club on 9-Grain Wheat Bread with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cucumbers, and Sweet Onion Sauce plus apple slices; 445 calories, 4.5g fat (1.5g saturated)

Oven Roasted Chicken Salad with tomatoes, green peppers, onions, olives, and cucumbers with honey-mustard dressing plus Yogurt Parfait; 400 calories, 6g fat (1.5g saturated)

Starbucks

Chicken & Hummus Bistro Box (hummus, grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and pita bread) plus a banana; 380 calories, 7g fat (1.2g saturated)

Zesty Chicken & Black Bean Salad Bowl (grilled chicken, black beans, roasted corn, jicama, tomatoes, feta, greens, and quinoa with chile vinaigrette) plus Seasonal Harvest Fruit Blend; 450 calories, 15g fat (2.5g saturated)

KFC

4 Hot Wings plus Sweet Kernel Corn; 380 calories, 16.5g fat (4g saturated)

Kentucky Grilled Chicken Breast plus mashed potatoes (without gravy) 310 calories; 10g fat (2.5g saturated)

None of the fast foods do a healthy option. It's all processed and and given preservatives to make it have a longer shelf life.

Just because it's low in fat, doesn't mean it's good for you. Fat gives things flavor, take it away and you need to replace it with something, usually sugar or salt.

and everything has to be supersize..............as the portions get bigger so does the population

There have always been fat lazy greedy kids with fat lazy greedy parents, maybe not as many as today but they always existed.

I agree. They definitely have a large part to play. But I think the biggest culprits are the supermarkets. They prey on our natural obsession for convenience and thirst for fat & sugar.

They'll sell literally anything that makes a profit. Regardless of content.

None of the fast foods do a healthy option. It's all processed and and given preservatives to make it have a longer shelf life.

Just because it's low in fat, doesn't mean it's good for you. Fat gives things flavor, take it away and you need to replace it with something, usually sugar or salt.

The steamed fish, salad, grilled chicken isn't processed, and a little fat is healthy.

There have always been fat lazy greedy kids with fat lazy greedy parents, maybe not as many as today but they always existed.

It's easier to get your hands on food these days. In the 60's supermarkets were not so common.

If you take a timeline of human existence. Food has only been so readily available for a miniscule part of our existence.

Like I said you have to choose the healthy option, if a fast food outlet opened and only served healthy food you wouldn't take little Chesney in in the first place, you would no doubt cave in to his whinging and buy him sweets and a burger and then allow him to sit and watch 5 hours of TV a day. :)

There isn't a polite way to say this, if you are fat, its because you eat too much and do to little in the way of exercise.

hopefully most kids are only allowed to go these places occasionally not on a regular basis

whenever I pass a McDonalds it is always packed though

It's easier to get your hands on food these days. In the 60's supermarkets were not so common.

If you take a timeline of human existence. Food has only been so readily available for a miniscule part of our existence.

I agree, its also easy to exercise and only eat what you need, healthy foods are also more readily available for everyone if you chose to buy them.

I agree, its also easy to exercise and only eat what you need, healthy foods are also more readily available for everyone if you chose to buy them.

Is it though?? Is it easy to work 40/50 hours a week, bring up a family, maintain your house and still have time to take regular exercise? I think it's bloody hard to be honest!

It's a lot easier to eat healthy though. Although, it's also easy to call in the chippy or shove some crap in the microwave.

Try falafel, good place on Glossop road.

I agree. They definitely have a large part to play. But I think the biggest culprits are the supermarkets. They prey on our natural obsession for convenience and thirst for fat & sugar.

They'll sell literally anything that makes a profit. Regardless of content.

and then you have the government telling us not to eat any of this stuff that we are being bombarded with day in day out

like now, the shops are full of chocolate for easter...its everywhere

its like chocolate wonderland in every shop you go in :gag:

I am that fed up I bought a bag of maltesers yesterday :)

A typical thread full of fatty's making excuses for being fat.

I have the same options as you, and I'm not fat.

I CHOOSE to eat healthily.

I CHOOSE to exercise.

You fatty's can too.

The shops are full of fatty stuff because fatty's eat it, not the other way round.

The main problem here isn't the availability of bad food. It's the lack of responsibility for your own actions. You just want someone else to blame for that fact that you are to mentally weak to control yourself.

You really do need to 'grow a pair' (and I don't mean big fat bingo wings).