The Ski Village

Snowboarding of course is safer and far cooler, but more annoying when you hit a flat spot.

No, but it'll probably promote it's own venues to try and raise income. Sheffield would never be the city of sport, if another town can get the headlines and make money from the venture and as such, it was never backed as a serious venture in Sheffield

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 12:31 ----------

I watched that snowboard cross thing on TV the other day, bloody yobbos

Yeah, they are such "yobbos". I mean they are dedicating hours of their lives to practice, so they can make it to an Olympic games. They should be down the football smashing things up when things don't go their way, not hugging , celebrating and smiling with their competitors despite losing...

I remember NY Sushi being held there. Fab times!

Also remember how many bruises I got from snowboard falls on those slopes too!

---------- Post added 18-02-2014 at 15:57 ----------

Yeah, they are such "yobbos". I mean they are dedicating hours of their lives to practice, so they can make it to an Olympic games. They should be down the football smashing things up when things don't go their way, not hugging , celebrating and smiling with their competitors despite losing...

haha ignore that twit, he'll just be jealous that he wouldn't be able to snowboard even if he tried to!

Anyone using a SitSki needs their heads looking at :D I appluad you for your fearlesness!

Just to clrify Blue Dragon - I love seeing SitSki's brilliant piece of equipment.

At first I completely pooped myself haha but thanks to the Youth Centre Manager he built my confidence. I then started going to Scotland once a year with them to ski down the mountains in Aviemore.

For those who don't know what a sitski is it's a wheelchair with ski's instead of wheels lol.

Like this http://www.spokesnmotion.com/node/131?form=131

Edited by TheBlueDragon

I thought Toby was a bit soft with Richard Caborn this morning.

Caborn was answering some guy who was questioning whether we would produce any further Olympians in Sheffield due to the loss of facilities like the ski slope and Don Valley.

Caborn used some current Sheffield Olympians as examples and also pointed out that Skiers who train for the Olympics use wet ski slopes. Toby didn't question this, but there were two obvious points that came to mind for me:

1. It's not the current generation this will impact on, it's producing Olympians in 10 - 15 years it could well hit, so using current numbers as an example is ridiculous.

2. Olympians may well train on wet ski slopes, but to get to that level you need to get kids interested in skiing in the first place. That will only happen if they have facilities that they can use to get interested (ie. The Sheffield Ski Village).

Caborn was also waffling on about how we're producing equipment for athletes at the AMP. I'm not sure what this has to do with producing Olympians in Sheffield, unless there is a manufacturing Olympics.

I generally like Richard Caborn, but I thought this morning he was on the defensive and coming up with some poor excuses/reasons.

Regards

Doom

This latest article seems to back up my points above.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-sheffield-ski-village-sadness-of-sochi-s-summerhayes-1-6447785

Regards

Doom

The success of local people who learned their basics at the Sheffield ski slope, and the publicity the City is getting at the winter Olympics shows just how tragic a loss the slope is...

Terribly disappointing about whaat condition the place has fallen into, from the Star article. looks like what Sochi 2014 will look like a couple of years down the line if everything that theyre saying about the environmental devastation in southern Russia is true.

Anyway, as the ski centre stands now, SOMETHING MUST be done, so as not to make it a blot on the landscape and even to cause erosion on the hillsidek, as well as preventing the site becoming a DEATH TRAP if for example, kids try stupid stunts such as offroad motorbiking. My suggestions are:

• :|CLEAN THE SITE UP: This can be done as a project involving Young Offenders and older prisoners, to remove all the slope-material, take down structures, and plant some trees to stabilise the slope and erect any fencing of areas that need to remain out of bounds. The site will be then in a reasonable condition for any future plans such as an 'indoor snow centre, model aircraft centre, hang glider centre, or dry ski slope again, once funding is available from whichever source.

:| RECYCLE WHAT'S THERE: If it is reusable, anny of the dry slope material and other parts could be re-used to create hundreds of starter 'baby' slopes for children at nursery and primary schools around the country; an excellent motivation to start kids as young as possible on the road to being Olympic Champions. some secondary schools could also create small slopes from it, but often they will want to bus pupils to fullsize slopes.

:|START LOOKING FOR AN INVESTOR: There have been all kinds of fancy schemes planned locally, such as the Chinese theme Park, an indoor snowdome, etc. There MUST be some investor somewhere, maybe internationally, who will look at developing an indoor ski-slope at the site of the Ski Village.

:rant::love::love:

Edited by Tyranna
edited list html

On BBC news this morning there was a feature on a female downhill skier, Emma Lonsdale, who credited Kendal dry ski slope for getting her interested in the sport.

And there's an article on the merits of dry slopes here:

Team GB Athletes Credit Dry Slopes For Olympic Team Places

http://www.inthesnow.com/news/sochi-olympics/team-gb-athletes-credit-dry-slopes-olympic-team-places/

and KP got his grubby hands on it all in 2007 I believe?

Ran it into the ground and the rest is history.

And all he wants to do is build nasty cheap houses on the land...which I imagine was his plan all along.

I suspect it was. In a recent interview in the build up to the Olympics for BBC Radio 4 called "Sheffield, City of snowless skiers" Keven Pullen was asked the question "So why did you buy the Ski Village in the first place then?", he replied "Because it's 16.6 acres of real estate and I'm a property developer".

But he's overlooked one minor detail. When the original lease was drawn up for the land, it was stated that should the land be used for anything else other than a ski slope that the lease will be terminated. So as I understand it he can't do anything else with the land and if he does the council have the legal right to take the land back.

Edited by steroc

Snowsport For Sheffield are a working group of professional individuals; with a passion to see the resurgence of Sheffield as the innovating and leading centre for snowsport in the UK.

Our Key Objectives Are:

* Re-establish Sheffield as the Snowsport Centre for the UK.

* Create a platform for the next generation of Olympic hopefuls by encouraging talent and making snowsport accessible to all.

* Establish the UK's first multi-sport freestyle training facility.

* Cement Sheffield's place as the 'City of Sport', by working in partnership with existing facilities to create a Centre of Excellence.

* Provide a sustainable positive effect on the local community and economy.

Please sign this petition to help get the Ski Village back up and running and allow the possibility to further our Winter Olympics potential.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/snow-sport-for-sheffield