Why do some older singers carry on singing

fairyworld14

If they enjoy it then why should they stop?

Exactly. It could also be that they need the money, but nobody is compelled to listen to them.

Homesick James, who was born 1905 (according to him), 1910 (most sources), 1914, or 1924 (according to his musicians’ union record), made his last recording in 2004 and was still doing live performamces up to July 2006 when he was either 101, 96, 92, or 82. He died in December of that same year. I have a live recording made in 1999 (you do the maths) and the old guy sounds like he’s enjoying the buzz.

One big ego trip which they can't do without.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Singing for an appreciative audience is a major buzz - there's nowt wrong with that.

I agree if they can still perform. It's the one's who don't know when to call it a day and think they can still do it but plainly can't, they are the egotists.

I agree if they can still perform. It's the one's who don't know when to call it a day and think they can still do it but plainly can't, they are the egotists.

Not necessarily, as I said, if they still enjoy it then why stop? If people want to pay to see them then it's nothing to do with the singer. It's irrelevant whether you think they can't sing, if the audience in general is happy to see them then what's the issue?

I think Macca, (and I'm a Beatles fan), Elton and Rod should call it a day.

All sound ridiculous and in Macca's case, reluctant to transpose the key of their songs.

We've got the records and it's easy to appreciate a time when these guys sounded extremely good (remind yourself by listening to the likes of Oh! Darling, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Stay With Me).

Edited by Ousetunes

As long as someone offers them good money to sing, they will keep taking it.

Who can blame them :)

Exactly.

Although I'm sure there are some on this thread whose artistic integrity would force them to turn down huge paydays (if offered).

I'm 100% certain. :D

If they enjoy it then why should they stop?

And if people still want to pay to see them.

Providing a service for which the customer is willing to pay. Capitalism. Reason enough for some on here to hold up their crucifixes and garlic.

Don't these singers know that markets must be controlled and people must be given what they are told to like?

I think Macca, (and I'm a Beatles fan), Elton and Rod should call it a day.

I'm sure they'll take that under advisement. :rolleyes: