Meadowhead roundabout

I've seen this on approaches to roundabouts before, not just in Sheffield. I wonder if its a new thing due to the everincreasing number of overseas drivers here now? A right turn arrow could indicate you can turn right onto the roundabout, which obviously isn't what would be intended.

Correct. The design guidance from government states this so instead many locations use text to indicate which lane is for each exit, and white lining/hatched areas to guide vehicles to the appropriate exit.

<------------ Is soooooooo glad she doesn't drive :hihi:

It's easy if you keep an eye on the Lane markings and stay in Lane.

I know it's easy, I have been driving a while. However the three lanes are all marked with an arrow pointing straight ahead which may be confusing for some.

Most people driving should be slapped senseless and sent back to driving schools.

Most people driving should be slapped senseless and sent back to driving schools.

Yourself included?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I have just come up the A61 from Bowshaw to meadowhead roundabout.

I noticed that all three lanes on approach to the roundabout have arrows to indicate straight ahead!

Also the layout of the lanes are very disturbing and not not conducive to negotiating the roundabout safely.

It's easy if you keep an eye on the Lane markings and stay in Lane.

All three lanes show straight ahead. I noticed this weeks ago. I have been trying to worlk out why there is no right turn marked for the outside lane :confused:

Its the same on the Bowshaw roundabout going back to Chesterfield only straight on and no right turn to the A61 Dronfield By-pass. No end of times have I been told I am in the wrong lane for the Dronfield By-pass when I stay in the left lane. As either lane could actually go straight ahead to Dronfield if I think someone in the right hand lane will I usually signal right until I have passed that exit.

It seems bizarre to me. I was thinking of contacting SYP Traffic Police to see what they say.

All three lanes show straight ahead. I noticed this weeks ago. I have been trying to worlk out why there is no right turn marked for the outside lane :confused:

Its the same on the Bowshaw roundabout going back to Chesterfield only straight on and no right turn to the A61 Dronfield By-pass. No end of times have I been told I am in the wrong lane for the Dronfield By-pass when I stay in the left lane. As either lane could actually go straight ahead to Dronfield if I think someone in the right hand lane will I usually signal right until I have passed that exit.

It seems bizarre to me. I was thinking of contacting SYP Traffic Police to see what they say.

There is no right turn shown at the Bowshaw roundabout as you are already on the A61 and so therefore you are going straight on effectively to continue on to the A61 Dronfield Bypass. You are correct in using the left hand lane. This lane should also be used for the B6057 into Dronfield. Keep using the signalling as it costs nothing and some of the drivers using that roundabout need all the help they can get.

I'm interested to see how this pans out as I work in Chesterfield and live on Woodseats. Previously I could approach the roundabout in either lane to go straight on (the left lane split into two, with the left of these being left only, the right being left and straight on).

Not been on it much recently as I've been going through Millthorpe and Bradway to avoid the roadworks but last time I did, the right lane was turn right only. Is that still the case ? So if you want to go straight-on, you have to queue in the left lane and then take either of the lanes it splits into ?

I made a note of the road markings on my way in this morning.

Joining the Meadowhead roundabout from Chesterfield I could now technically use any of the 3 lanes to exit on to Meadowhead and go down to Woodseats as they are all marked straight ahead.

Left lane is Brad and City

Middle lane is City and

Right lane is City and Ring road (this may not be the actual words but does convey the directions indicated by the markings.)

Before the changes I always used to use the middle lane to exit to Woodseats which would mean I left the roundabout in the left of the two lanes on Meadowhead. knowing that there maybe traffic also exiting to Meadowhead on my right hand side using the other lane.

I still use this lane but it now means that I exit in the right hand lane on Meadowhead and am aware that there could be traffic exiting on my left and right!

Also this morning I noticed that having joined the roundabout in the middle lane this lane is then marked straight ahead and right! I didn't notice how the right lane lane from Chesterfield is marked once on the roundabout, but surely this now means that anyone using that lane with the intention of exiting to Meadowhead could now find someone on their left side carrying on round to the Bochum Parkway rather than exiting to Meadowhead :loopy:

Doesn't seem very safe or sensible to me. I am just glad my route has changed and I no longer have to ecit to Bochum Parkway :roll:

Left lane is Brad and City

Middle lane is City and

Right lane is City and Ring road (this may not be the actual words but does convey the directions indicated by the markings.)

On the approach, the wording is actually slightly different.

Left lane is Bradfield and City

Middle lane is City and Ring Road

Right lane is Ring Road

As soon as you get onto the roundabout:

- the right-hand lane has a Right-turn arrow only.

- the middle lane has a Straight/Right Combination arrow.

I wonder if the arrows just before you enter the roundabout have now been changed as some policy planners, in their wisdom, think that a right-turn arrow may induce a fool to turn anticlockwise onto the roundabout?

I wonder if the arrows just before you enter the roundabout have now been changed as some policy planners, in their wisdom, think that a right-turn arrow may induce a fool to turn anticlockwise onto the roundabout?

I have noticed that right turn arrows before roundabouts are disappearing. If it is indeed to help prevent fools from turning anticlockwise onto roundabouts, then I think it is crazy.

Okay, so the names/numbers of the road are on there but people don't always know the name/number of the road, arrows are much easier to follow than words.

Edit: A quick bit of googling does seem to suggest that right turn arrows are no longer allowed on the approach to major roundabouts in case foreign drivers turn into the flow of traffic. :loopy:

"Right turn arrows are best avoided on the approach lanes to a roundabout, other than a mini-roundabout, particularly as they can mislead overseas drivers used to driving on the right. Where a right-hand lane is dedicated to a specific destination, this should be associated with an ahead arrow until the vehicle is in the circulatory carriageway." (from the Traffic Signals Manual - lane designation markings and arrows on roundabouts - chapter 5, para 8.31)

Edited by milquetoast1

Only 2005. Eh?

Nice to see all those well-paid planners keeping up to speed.

LANE DESTINATION MARKINGS AND ARROWS

Right turn arrows are best avoided on the approach lanes to a roundabout, other than a mini-roundabout, particularly as they can mislead overseas drivers used to driving on the right.

Where a right hand lane is dedicated to a specific destination, this should be associated with an ahead arrow until the vehicle is in the circulatory carriageway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/223667/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-05.pdf

Thanks for the pointer milquetoast.

I see you found the wording while I was typing!

Edited by cgksheff