Is homophobia genetic?

I read an interesting article the other day but I'm damned if I can find it again. The idea put forward by the author was that if being gay or lesbian is a natural thing i.e the individual knew from an early age that they were gay or lesbian, is it not right to assume that being homophobic could be the same? Instead of being a learned response could it be a natural inbuilt feeling?

For the record I would just like to state that I am not gay and neither do I have any ill feeling towards the gay or lesbian community. I just thought it was an interesting viewpoint on the subject.

Claire Balding recently said her granny was disgusted when she found out that Claire was a lesbian. That doesn't imply homophobia is genetic.

I read an interesting article the other day but I'm damned if I can find it again. The idea put forward by the author was that if being gay or lesbian is a natural thing i.e the individual knew from an early age that they were gay or lesbian, is it not right to assume that being homophobic could be the same? Instead of being a learned response could it be a natural inbuilt feeling?

I don't see how the comparison works, it's like saying that if it's natural for one person to like apples, maybe it's natural for someone else to dislike that person, because of their fondness of apples.

A more like for like comparison would be that if being gay or lesbian is a natural thing then maybe being straight is a natural thing.

Its because even now same sex relationships haven't been "normalised" in the mainstream media; when all you see on tv, in the papers and in films etc is heterosexual behaviour and not, or rarely, homosexual behaviour, young people grow up believing it isn't normal.

Nah, more like indoctrination by the parent.

And could the same apply to a child brought up by homosexual parents do you think ?

And could the same apply to a child brought up by homosexual parents do you think ?

it depends on context, if you're constantly told its inherently evil and not normal, then yes

but tbh in most homosexual couples I don't think they stoop that low, homophobia is a learnt train of thought like racism and sexism

Indoctrination to be tolerant of other people... I suppose so, tolerance and intolerance are largely learnt behaviours.

it depends on context, if you're constantly told its inherently evil and not normal, then yes

but tbh in most homosexual couples I don't think they stoop that low, homophobia is a learnt train of thought like racism and sexism

I didnt mean it in that way ,I meant could homosexuality be ingrained in a person/child,to them it would appear as a normality and heterosexuality would seem strange to them,usually homosexuals tend to attract "their own " so the child would possibly be alienated from heterosexuality to a certain extent.

No, as stated in the OP homosexuality and heterosexuality are largely determined by genetics (although even genetically predisposed behaviours are affected by environment).

Homophobia isn't genetic, it's learnt behaviour. (As are all forms of bigotry that I can think of at the moment). Sexuality is largely genetic.

No, it's conditional like most things in life

For the record I would just like to state that I am not gay and neither do I have any ill feeling towards the gay or lesbian community. I just thought it was an interesting viewpoint on the subject.

Phobias may be memories passed down in genes from ancestors

Memories may be passed down through generations in DNA in a process that may be the underlying cause of phobias.

Memories can be passed down to later generations through genetic switches that allow offspring to inherit the experience of their ancestors, according to new research that may explain how phobias can develop.

Scientists have long assumed that memories and learned experiences built up during a lifetime must be passed on by teaching later generations or through personal experience.

However, new research has shown that it is possible for some information to be inherited biologically through chemical changes that occur in DNA.

Genes trigger phobias in kids and teens