Shoot the owner not the dog!

This tired old discussion again?

It is really simple: People who do not understand dogs should not own them. There are too many idiots that think: 'Let's have a dog!' and never consider the consequences. They need shooting, but tarnishing ALL dog owners with that brush is equally moronic.

Also: Your daughters would be better served by not having their parent panicking in a situation like this, if you just kept a steady head and explained the dog wanted to play she would not be afraid of dogs and wouldn't be in the future either. Vicious dog attacks (where someone ends up in hospital) are incredibly rare, but they make good copy, rather than scaring them off dogs for the rest of their lifes, why not see if there is a contact you have with a dog you know is friendly and get your kids used to it.

Dogs like kids can get a bit giddy and sound and look as though they are out of control but as a dog owner who has met plenty of dogs I can always tell if I need to be wary of a dog of lead. However if dogs always have to be on lead when in public then I'd like to say that all little kids should be on walking reins as they run in front of me, barge into me or simply run around squawking loudly and yet the parents seem oblivious.

Last year i walked my quiet well behaved dog through the winter garden and was told i wasn't allowed to by a city ambassador not that he could quote any ruling or point at any signage. I pointed out that my dog was under control and well behaved unlike the two little kids who were running around screaming insults at each other and then trampling through the vegetation growing area's, not that he seemed inclined to do anything to stop them but obviously thought I and my dog were fair game.

Can I suggest we shoot the parents and not the children?

Anyone who brings up their child to be traumatised by a slightly silly dog needs to be stopped from doing the same to other children.

I don't much like dogs, and I certainly don't like dog owners who bring up badly behaved dogs. But neither do I like parents who bring up children who are scared of their own shadow.

No dog should be off a leash whatever the size and breed they cause problems for pedistrian, cyclists and other dog owners they may come running up "friendly" but only the owner knows its nature and it can make you feel vunerable when the loose dog charges up.

No excuse, all dogs on leads full stop.

Couldn't agree more I have a son who is terrified of dogs and if one comes near he will stand screaming which makes the dog worse.

If you take a dog in a public place put it on a bloody lead for goodness sake.

Just to add I also hate it when they walk up to you sniffing etc.

Put the dog an a lead

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 16:57 ----------

Anyone who brings up their child to be traumatised by a slightly silly dog needs to be stopped from doing the same to other children.

I don't much like dogs, and I certainly don't like dog owners who bring up badly behaved dogs. But neither do I like parents who bring up children who are scared of their own shadow.

What a load of crap - my son is quite fearless however for some reason he doesn't like dogs.

Dogs should be on leads in a public place end off - not only does the dog owner need to know where it is at all times for safety but this will then ensure owners pick up and mess left by the dog.

Couldn't agree more I have a son who is terrified of dogs and if one comes near he will stand screaming which makes the dog worse.

Put the dog an a lead

Well said, your son is more important than ANY animal and if another human thinks otherwise then they have something missing inside their head, besides we are top of the food chain, not dogs.

No dog should be off a leash whatever the size and breed they cause problems for pedistrian, cyclists and other dog owners they may come running up "friendly" but only the owner knows its nature and it can make you feel vunerable when the loose dog charges up.

No excuse, all dogs on leads full stop.

Clearly not a dog owner/lover if you were you would know that dogs become more aggressive when on the lead particularly when they have pent up energy because they cant run it off. I can feel vulnerable when a cyclist or jogger appears behind me without warning.

No excuse, all cyclists and runners should ring a bell to warn me they are coming, full stop.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 17:00 ----------

Sorry completely disagree. My dog is 13 years old. I take him walking twice a day. He is trained completely and can walk through a field of sheep without chasing them day in day out. He does not run up scaring small kids apart from my own 4 year old lol. But they are best friends.

I have had no mishaps and never will.

Dogs that aren't trained properly should be put on leads. And owners need to take responsibility like the Op said. If my dog can act accordingly in public when why should i get penalised? :huh:

Couldn't agree more!

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 17:05 ----------

Well said- it is irresponsible of the parents to allow their kids to respond with fear to a playful and harmless dog (which most are) They are not doing their children any favours and those kids are more likely to be bitten if they start getting hysterical when a dog approaches them.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 17:07 ----------

Put the dog an a lead

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 16:57 ----------

What a load of crap - my son is quite fearless however for some reason he doesn't like dogs.

Dogs should be on leads in a public place end off - not only does the dog owner need to know where it is at all times for safety but this will then ensure owners pick up and mess left by the dog.

He doesnt like dogs because you dont! Simples.

I'd like to thank those who have posted supportive messages about this. :)

But I seriously question the mentality of those who see this as an opportunity to rant about supposedly bad parenting.

My younger daughter (lost her headband to the hound!) ,loves and, is used to, both dogs and cats. So she/they don't need "educating", and I'm not sure how to prepare her for the possibility that an unknown, fairly large canine will run and leap at her.

I had firm hold of both my daughters while all this was going on - they weren't "unprotected" and at 6+, well, you try putting them on reins!! Or doing canine behaviour awareness counselling to a screaming child...Oh yeah, and I didn't "panic" (whatever that means).It seems from one or two of the more ludicrous posts that I might have been cowering in the bushes during dog incident, already mentally composing my Forum rant. Wrong again, sorry. I take responsibility for my children; dog owners, please do the same, and trollers, stop hijacking a reasonable thread for your own warped agenda.

I suppose im like like most folk who don't mind dogs or pets in general and as long as they are suitably supervised and by that I mean on a short lead if at all boisterous.

I'd like to thank those who have posted supportive messages about this. :)

But I seriously question the mentality of those who see this as an opportunity to rant about supposedly bad parenting.

My younger daughter (lost her headband to the hound!) ,loves and, is used to, both dogs and cats. So she/they don't need "educating", and I'm not sure how to prepare her for the possibility that an unknown, fairly large canine will run and leap at her.

I had firm hold of both my daughters while all this was going on - they weren't "unprotected" and at 6+, well, you try putting them on reins!! Or doing canine behaviour awareness counselling to a screaming child...Oh yeah, and I didn't "panic" (whatever that means).It seems from one or two of the more ludicrous posts that I might have been cowering in the bushes during dog incident, already mentally composing my Forum rant. Wrong again, sorry. I take responsibility for my children; dog owners, please do the same, and trollers, stop hijacking a reasonable thread for your own warped agenda.

That reply is full of bitterness and anger. I hope you are more measured and reasonable when dealing with the children you so clearly love.

Aggressive dogs are dangerous, aggressive parents can be even more dangerous.

That reply is full of bitterness and anger. I hope you are more measured and reasonable when dealing with the children you so clearly love.

Aggressive dogs are dangerous, aggressive parents can be even more dangerous.

Only according to you :rolleyes:

Only according to you :rolleyes:

There are parks and certain areas of parks specially for children, if you really don't like dogs. They specifically exclude dogs, with or without leads, which might suit you, and are gated and fenced.

But be fair to all involved (dogs, children and adults). Dogs and dog owners should be able to walk their dogs on or off lead if responsible and in the responsibly allocated places. If the place you went is a place where people are allowed to walk their dogs, on or off lead, you can't really complain in all fairness. By the sounds of things, the dog wasn't nasty (and by what you said, I think you judged this at the time), and there no harm come to any living object. Unless you're looking for a replacement headband, I don't hugely see quite what the purpose of this post was? Except to rant?

Just to add though - yes, I own a dog. There are only two places in the whole of Sheffield where my dog would go off lead - one is a more isolated large wood/field area, the other is Meersbrook park which is when I don't have the time for quite such a long walk. Meersbrook park have fenced and gated areas to separate children and dogs, and so far we've never had any problems and my dog is not particularly interested in people or children. All other areas of Sheffield where we more frequently walk (as my dog gets 2-3 short walks a day as well) my dog is kept on lead at all times, because it is too close to roads and streets and I do not believe it is safe for my dog to be off lead in such close proximity to possible traffic and problems as such.

So I am not biased. But tomayto, tomarto.

My dog tends to go up to people, look at them and walk away when shes off lead, but lunges at them with what might look like 'aggression' but is not, when on lead. Shes very good with recall and always comes back when told to.

Once in Graves park, just inside the Derbyshire Lane/top of Cobnar Road entrance, there was a little boy, maybe 2 years old, laying face down on the grass crying his eyes out. My dog loves kids, and you could see she was quite worried by him, looked at me, approached him, ran back to me, back to him, and eventually took herself over and laid down next to him and wouldn't come back. His parents, as far as I could see were nowhere to be seen. I started walking towards him, and all of a sudden from the other side of the field, his mums running screaming about her child being mauled by a staffy! No need for her to panic like that, maybe she should have paid some attention to where her son was instead!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android