Bid to ease congestion at Sheffield Station..

Haha.......they've only just retarmacked the whole taxi area.

Fantastic planning as usual.

Consider:

1. OLD: station with convenient taxi rank, drop-off are accessed from main road, short-stay car park, and long-stay car park.

2. NOW: none of the above. Pointless steel wall (not even made in Sheffield).

An improvement?

Here's an idea.....

If the council made sure that taxi drivers wasn't taking the **** and instead of x amount taxis allowed in certain bays (which x says by clearly marked signs) instead of xxx then congestion might not be that bad.

The solution is simple. Put a taxi rank and pick up area at the rear of the station near the existing tram stop and allow cars and taxis to drive through from Duke Street and Shrewsbury Road. There are already roads in place.

That's a residential area and a public park, both of which Sheffield Council are spending lots of money revamping, there's very little chance of that getting through planning.

As for having someone move people on, they do. A friend of mine works at the station and I've been there whilst he and others try.

They have no actual powers to move people on and I was amazed at the abuse they get when they do ask. Strangely the worst abuse and foul language I saw was from women!

As with most companies, costs are always cut. There is no financial gain in EMT employing someone purely to move people on, and I'm guessing there is nothing in the contract that demands this.

So the staff go out front when they have time. They have time when there are less duties to carry out at the station. This is when there are few trains arriving/departing. Therefore less people waiting to pick people up/ drop people off.

Yep, it's a farce.

Easy answer, make all trains from south and west stop at a new Park and ride site somewhere near Archer Road/Woodseats Road with a big area reserved for pick up and set down tied in with a transport interchange.

Then create a similar site somewhere near the old Attercliffe Station site for trains from the north and east.

This should hopefully take most of the pressure off the station and leave it for those whom the above two options don't suit.

Easy answer, make all trains from south and west stop at a new Park and ride site somewhere near Archer Road/Woodseats Road with a big area reserved for pick up and set down tied in with a transport interchange.

Then create a similar site somewhere near the old Attercliffe Station site for trains from the north and east.

This should hopefully take most of the pressure off the station and leave it for those whom the above two options don't suit.

So, open a train station at Meadowhall, or right next to it? Not sure you've thought it through. Big trains from London aren't going to want to stop at every little station or it'd take days & there's already a station at Dore for the south west. There's Sainsbury's & Tesco at either side of the line at Woodseats too, I'm not sure if there's land available for it, maybe near Tesco. I don't understand why big trains would want to stop there rather than Dore though, or at both & the line is probably too busy to have slow commuter trains holding it up.

There's a huge patch of wasteland where the old car park was, why not just reopen that & put a better access route in from Sheaf street.

The new proposals do sound worse than it is currently. Is this staff car park next to the police station? 12 short stay spaces is what we have now, that's one of the main problems, there aren't enough, they're just moving the problem further away. Looks like we're losing 40 spaces in the multi-story too.

Edited by anywebsite

There's a huge patch of wasteland where the old car park was, why not just reopen that & put a better access route in from Sheaf street.

I'd love to know what the council / Network Rail / East Midlands trains are thinking, the pedestrian approach is very impressive but it's undermined by the wasteland next to it and if they happen to get dropped off by car when leaving Sheffield. There's clearly a need for something to sort out parking wise so let's just use the empty space.

Most city centre stations have slightly chaotic and jammed up waiting areas but very few of them have a patch of wasteland next to it.

I think the wasteland is just there to highlight how bad their planning is. To make us suffer just a bit more every time we look out from the multi story car park across town towards the station in the distance, or from our car windows while sat in the queue next to the big tarmac wasteland.

Edited by anywebsite

Who owns that wasteland?

Also, as that Laycocks site has been in a state of ruins for years, couldn't the council or the station buy the site, clear it and provide alternate waiting area for taxis or more parking?

Here's an idea.....

If the council made sure that taxi drivers wasn't taking the **** and instead of x amount taxis allowed in certain bays (which x says by clearly marked signs) instead of xxx then congestion might not be that bad.

That's easy to say, and will probably get lots of people saying 'yep!'

However, assume you are a cab driver who has paid to pick up there... how can they see whether the rank is full without driving up to it, if there isn't a space they have to turn around and drive a round the block and try again, yeah? So if all of the ones that are now parked illegally do this, then it would be worse than it is now! How would they turn around for a start? This idea would create more congestion not less!