Identify this object washed up on a beach please !

Looks like a rabbit proberbly early 1900. .:)

Looks like a rabbit proberbly early 1900. .:)

You mean probably?

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 19:15 ----------

Thanks for all the sensible answers.

Are you certain it's not two tools fused together? If they were then they could be a type of Marlinspike (although they are usually rounded shaft), or if hinged then a sort of scribe for wood or metalwork.

This reminds me of when I found a very interesting piece of wood on a beach in foertuventura (sorry about spelling). I thought it was hundreds of years old as it was bleached white. It was obviously part of something, as it had a jagged edge where it had broken. It was also threaded onto a piece of raffia through a hole in it.

We got home from holiday and I hung it on the curtain track in our downstairs toilet, where it stayed for years.

A neighbour came round for a coffee and went to use the loo. A voice came from behind the door "...... Why have you got a paintbrush handle hung from your curtain pole?"

We laughed so much I wet myself. All romantic notions on the purpose of the weathered bit of wood went straight out the window.

You mean probably?

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 19:15 ----------

Thanks for all the sensible answers.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeow:rolleyes:

The problem is whether they are fused together or separate. If the former I would have guessed a type of compass scribe, the latter some kind of piercing tool (Marlin Spike for piercing rope). The shaft appears square section and will be forged if it is in one piece with the "tang" or handle; this denotes that the tool needs to be strong to resist twisting and pushing which would not be a requirement with calipers.

The square sections of the two prongs appear to be in the same plane. That's unlikely to be an accident, so I think it is likely that it is one implement, and not two fused together. I also think that there could be a quadrant shape where the two prongs meet, to allow the angle to be adjusted.

to me...

It looks like a pair of ordinary (old fashioned) garden Secateurs which have badly corroded.

The "Tangs" to the left look like they should have handles on them , maybe they were discarded because of the distortion of the upper handle?

The "Tangs" to the left look like they should have handles on them , .........

Makes sense to me.

to me...

It looks like a pair of ordinary (old fashioned) garden Secateurs which have badly corroded.

The "Tangs" to the left look like they should have handles on them , maybe they were discarded because of the distortion of the upper handle?

That's interesting. I can understand the straight spike being to fit inside a handle - it's similar to the sort of shaft you see on a wooden handled screwdriver or chisel. However, I find it hard to see how the curved spike could ever have been bent into the shape it now is, especially if it had a wooden handle around it. This would be very hard to bend, particularly by accident.

Easy one is this, it's a giggling pin - which holds the laughing shaft in place, circa 1815/1830.

Angel.