Sheffield traffic the slowest moving in the country

Barnsley road down toward spital hill is one of my highlights of the daft planning in sheffield. they used the phrase quality bus corridor or some such nonsense for the new set of lights. all it does is hold up a pile of cars going down toward spital hill, for about a minute, all pollluting, while no traffic move from either side road, or up, while a solitary half empty bus gets priority. the lights often change just before the bus gets through tho, and holds it there. the cars also sit, in eager anticipation, hoping, waiting. nothing happens in any direction. the lights change, the cars move off, leaving the bus, and taxis behind, the taxis all jump lane and shoot through, leaving the lonely bus.

on alternate timings, the bus gets through, and beats the cars and then pulls in 200 yards further on, by which time all the cars slide past and overtake.

traffic prioritising at its finest, must add loads of pollution into the local community with the delayed lights. traffic used to sort itself out quite easily at that junction without any of the nonsense.

Sheffield city council are out to get us.

Look North are out to get us.

Those trails in the clouds are out to get us.

Nothing beats a Sheffield Forum conspiracy theory thread...

Sheffield city council are out to get us.

Look North are out to get us.

Those trails in the clouds are out to get us.

Nothing beats a Sheffield Forum conspiracy theory thread...

your out to get us as well:gag:

Better cyclists going up one way streets the wrong way (which in many cases allegations of that may be due to non-cycling motorist's incomprehension of contra flow lanes) than motorists prowling on kids

Yes folks. Motorists are paedophiles.

It MUST be true because just as everyone can cite an example of a cyclist going through a red light ergo all cyclists run red lights, there are multiple examples which can be proven in fact, of kids being lured into cars, therefore all motorists must be kiddy fiddlers.

all this from a guy on a bike wearing lycra shorts . mmmmmmmmm:hihi:

Sheffield hasn't a single flyover. The roundabout at the bottom of Sheffield University is a notorious bottleneck, so they dug a tunnel under it for the trams. That just showed the priority the Council gives to motorists.

Now that does take paranoia to a new level. And I suppose Totley Tunnel proves that the Victorians were anti-horse and carriage.

There was a survey some years ago saying that the average speed of traffic in Sheffield was the lowest in the entire country, apart from London, so this doesn't surprise me. Sheffield hasn't a single flyover. The roundabout at the bottom of Sheffield University is a notorious bottleneck, so they dug a tunnel under it for the trams. That just showed the priority the Council gives to motorists.

Try driving around Peterborough. The traffic is directed onto raised dual carriageways. In the survey I mentioned, the average speed there was 50mph, not 19mph.

Planner1 will tell you that the policy of separating traffic and pedestrians is one that has been abandoned as divisory, instead they prefer to put in a dozen sets of lights and slow the traffic to a crawl. But at least the traffic and the pedestrians feel at one with each other, all moving at walking pace.

Planner1 will tell you that the policy of separating traffic and pedestrians is one that has been abandoned as divisory, instead they prefer to put in a dozen sets of lights and slow the traffic to a crawl. But at least the traffic and the pedestrians feel at one with each other, all moving at walking pace.

Ive always wondered why the council installed one of their cash collectors on Penistone rd at Neepsend . The is no danger of ever getting close to 30MPH on that stretch of road with traffic lights every 50 yds.

if more people used buses then there wouldn't be this problem

That's very true, you can see queues of cars every morning with just one person in them, why? Drivers crib about I cant park here, I cant park there and they clog the town up by just nipping into town to do a bit of shopping, why cant they catch the bus and do a bit to resolve the traffic problem.

That's very true, you can see queues of cars every morning with just one person in them, why? Drivers crib about I cant park here, I cant park there and they clog the town up by just nipping into town to do a bit of shopping, why cant they catch the bus and do a bit to resolve the traffic problem.

Why should we . ? cars are convenient , are there when you need them and take you door to door when you want . Why would people want to give that up to use smelly buses .

and to think people slate cyclist!. who take up much less space, and in fact help with the congestion, if they were not on bikes it would be cars or even buses.

Bikes cause most of the slow moving traffic, wobbling about all over the road. :|

Bikes cause most of the slow moving traffic, wobbling about all over the road. :|

If you get stuck behind a two wheeled warrior a Queue quickly builds up behind you causing the congestion.

Why should we . ? cars are convenient , are there when you need them and take you door to door when you want . Why would people want to give that up to use smelly buses .

I agree they are convenient but why do drivers complain about traffic when its in there own hands to solve, oh yes THE BUSES ARE DISGUSTING UNLIKE HULLEYS OF BASLOW this matter needs addressing.