Photography question.

Never been to this part of SF before, it's all very civilised. One quick question that might run into several.

I've a Fuji fine pix f770 exr (point and click) That appears to be my first mistake as the battery lasts about 10 minutes and it won't work at all in cold conditions. Anyway, I need to take a photograph of something which is about 6m wide but I've only got around 15ft worth of space in front to work with. It makes use of a tripod virtually impossible (it's right up against a wall) and just holding it makes it difficult to get the picture level. We've tried Turing the image from a 4:3 to a 16:9 but I can't seem to get further "away" something I can do on an iPhone. The lens says its a 25mm zoom (which I guess is wide angled - it just doesn't seem very wide angled). Manual isn't helpful either.

Any milage in forking out for something with more bells and whistles or will the same problem exist?

I'd only fork out on something if you are going to take many photos and make it worthwhile. You could get yourself a DSLR and then get a nice wide angle lens for it. It would be costly (in relation to a point and click), but a worthy investment if you plan to use often :)

I have a Canon 1100D and this is my wide angled lens:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B0007U00X0

Have you considered taking two or three photos and stitching them together with software?

Is it a "one off" thing,maybe someone on here may be able to help you out.

Thank you all for responding. It's likely to an on going thing so I need to learn how to do it, and as there is quite a bit of detail stitching it together might not work that well. I like the look of the lenses on agent oranges post ( not the price though!!!!)which would be an improvement on the 25mm lenses I've got on the Fuji. I might have a wander down to London camera exchange and see what they have second hand. It's that or a very time consuming move in the warehouse to give me that extra few feet.

There's software to do the stitching, and it works surprisingly well. Personally i use PixMaker Pro.

Tinfoilhat, no panoramic option on the camera? Mines a point and click too but has this feature. Otherwise, as mega says there's software, and free at that! Windows live photo gallery has the tools to do it, I found it ok for what I needed.

I've only a bridge camera but would be happy to attempt it if not too far away as the car is gonna be off the road for a week tomorrow. I do pano's all the time and they usually turn out fine. I'm no photo pro though.

Tinfoilhat, no panoramic option on the camera? Mines a point and click too but has this feature. Otherwise, as mega says there's software, and free at that! Windows live photo gallery has the tools to do it, I found it ok for what I needed.

I've only a bridge camera but would be happy to attempt it if not too far away as the car is gonna be off the road for a week tomorrow. I do pano's all the time and they usually turn out fine. I'm no photo pro though.

Funnily enough we tried the panoramic setting on the camera the other night and whilst it does fit everything on seamlessly, it creates an odd curved line at the bottom of the thing I'm taking a photograph of (almost like a fisheye lense effect I guess). Will try software next.

Funnily enough we tried the panoramic setting on the camera the other night and whilst it does fit everything on seamlessly, it creates an odd curved line at the bottom of the thing I'm taking a photograph of (almost like a fisheye lense effect I guess). Will try software next.

Crop it straight on the pc ;)

Doing a panorama properly is actually quite fiddly and needs care to do so. Curvature of subject will definitely happen in this sort of situation if you stay in place and simply rotate camera whilst shooting.

Best method for this issue is to start taking photos at one end and then moving the camera parallel to subject whilst making sure camera body is also parallel to the subject. Then stitch together afterwards. Make sure you have lots of overlap of the images.

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 12:30 ----------

Crop it straight on the pc ;)
That will not alter the curvature of subject. You need to use method I mentioned above to get around problem.