Sheffield councils profit from parking fees and fines rise by 40%

I think it you look at the bigger picture there's a reason for more fines - more reckless motorists.

There was recently a news report at the number of drivers texting while driving, and these two news articles about a rise in drink driving:

Shocking spike in drink-drive deaths as number killed rises by 26% to 290 last year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382443/Shocking-spike-drink-drive-deaths-number-killed-rises-25-290-year.html

Hot weather drink-drive warning as over 400 fail breath tests

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23440323

And these articles on speeding and driving in bus lanes:

City bus lane fines net £11k every day

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/city-bus-lane-fines-net-11k-every-day-132176n.21753556

Speeding vehicles activated the county's cameras 10% more in 2012/13 than the previous year

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/speed-cameras-triggered-60000-times-5322435

And general police spot checks:

Drivers fined during police spot checks at M1 junction

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/crime/drivers-fined-during-police-spot-checks-at-m1-junction-1-5253975

Is the system to blame or the drivers? I think the drivers bring it on themselves much of the time.

Edited by alchresearch

Re alchresearch's point on reckless motorists and texting drivers - on Abbeydale Road recently I've noticed a lot of people driving with headphones in, presumably listening to MP3 players etc. I know when I'm walking with my headphones in I'm a lot less aware and need to be extra vigilant about cars, other pedestrians etc. Seems pretty dangerous to me!

Its easy the council have identified parking as a funding stream to make up for Government cuts, it will destroy the town centre. I mean come into town with very few shops and pay to park or go to Meadowhall lots of shops and free parking, no brainer Meadowhall everytime

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

what was it when lib dems were in power?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It was £10

so its a 250% increase then, looks like labour origional price was too high, lib dems brought it down to break even level and then labour decided that they needed more tea money, or is planner1 going to tell me that during lib dems running the council, the parking permit scheme was running at a loss??

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 11:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penistone999

Could you provide a breakdown of how it costs £36 to produce and post out a parking permit. ?

Do you really think that the price of printing a permit disc and postage is the only cost associated with permit parking schemes?

yes, what other cost is there in producing a permit?, or is it a case of creating some jobs to justify the high cost?

so its a 250% increase then, looks like labour origional price was too high, lib dems brought it down to break even level and then labour decided that they needed more tea money, or is planner1 going to tell me that during lib dems running the council, the parking permit scheme was running at a loss??

Yep, Planner1's maths are very selective:suspect:

If people live in areas with high demand for parking on the public highway (well in excess of what the roads will take) how else can enforcement be paid for to ensure residents can park locally?

Why can't it be a free permit area? All homeowners get a permit for one car for free plus a book of visitor tickets for free. If this is to stop parking from commuters not living in the street then there's no need to charge the homeowners for parking is there? Just ticket any cars without a permit. Homeowners can park for free...sounds clearly like the council are just trying to make money from this. If the council say that 'admin costs' should be covered, I'm struggling to understand the IMMENSE costs associated with a piece of paper. If the DVLA can send out tax discs for free for cars that qualify then I can't see why the council can't do the same thing.

Why can't it be a free permit area? All homeowners get a permit for one car for free plus a book of visitor tickets for free. If this is to stop parking from commuters not living in the street then there's no need to charge the homeowners for parking is there? Just ticket any cars without a permit. Homeowners can park for free...sounds clearly like the council are just trying to make money from this. If the council say that 'admin costs' should be covered, I'm struggling to understand the IMMENSE costs associated with a piece of paper. If the DVLA can send out tax discs for free for cars that qualify then I can't see why the council can't do the same thing.

And of course,non permit holders pay fines rightfully so, which im sure covers any costs of policing it.

I'll tell you what. We'll get the council to produce the permits and visitor tickets for cost.

Then you can patrol all the permit zones day and night. You won't be paid, you won't be given a vehicle to use to travel between these zones and you definitely won't be paid for expenses like fuel.

Sound like a fair deal?

I'll tell you what. We'll get the council to produce the permits and visitor tickets for cost.

Then you can patrol all the permit zones day and night. You won't be paid, you won't be given a vehicle to use to travel between these zones and you definitely won't be paid for expenses like fuel.

Sound like a fair deal?

So what will you do with the fine money?

So what will you do with the fine money?

The same as any other court fine, invested back into the pot. It's not for the fine income to pay for the schemes that people have asked for.

I just love how idiots bleat on about vehicular fines but don't mention other types of court-ordered fines for crimes.

Where's the uproar and nonsense about fines being a revenue stream when a fraudster/burglar/mugger gets fined? There isn't.

Because the poor motorist needs to whine and label themselves a scapegoat despite being the one in the wrong. Motorists are like a 6 year old having a "why me" tantrum.

Driving and owning a car is a PRIVILEGE not a right and it comes with limitations and rules. If you don't like them then no-one is forcing you to have a car.