Are Scottish notes legal tender and accepted in England?

Always happy to assist a 'newco rangers fan'

All big stores will take them, chain stores, bookies

If you want to buy a carry out tesco asda Kind of shops will, small independent off sales and corner shops may refuse, taxi driver may also refuse

Of you do get stuck go into a bookies put £60 roulette machine, have a couple of wee £1 spins then print receipt an collect £55+ in English notes from the counter

Shopkeepers who refuse its nothing personal they just can't spot fakes as they are not used to seeing them

I wouldn't accept them. I wouldn't know whether they were real or not, especially with there being several different kinds (BoS, RBoS, Clydesdale Bank etc).

Do they still have £1 notes?

I wouldn't accept them. I wouldn't know whether they were real or not, especially with there being several different kinds (BoS, RBoS, Clydesdale Bank etc).

Do they still have £1 notes?

Yes that's the problem I have with them .I know how to check for fakes with English notes but would not know where to start with the Scottish ones . Been bitten too many times in the past with fakes so don't take any chances now .

Never had a problem with them, even in smaller shops.

few years ago I refused a £5 one at East Midlands airport, the assistant informed me they were legal tender, I corrected her they were not in England.

They're not legal tender even in Scotland. They are legal currency.

Edited by richkent
typo

Bank of Scotland notes yes, Clydesdale bank notes no, hope that helps

Clydesdale notes are fine as well as long as its a major retailer/chain shop

Newco rangers fans will be fine spending them in sports direct when buying baseball/cricket bats and golf clubs for their day out :D

I received a reasonable cash sum a couple of weeks ago in Scottish twenties and fifties.

The only place who refused to accept Scottish twenties was Wards nursery near Dronfield.(I wouldn't have presumed they'd be your first port of call).

I even paid for some takeaway delivery and a handyman with them.

Why do we have to have this argument time after time after time.

Scottish notes are NOT legal tender and NOBODY is obliged to accept them as settlement of debt.

They're just vouchers, basically.

They should print that on every Scottish note to save the great deal of time that is wasted on this debate.

Why do we have to have this argument time after time after time.

Scottish notes are NOT legal tender and NOBODY is obliged to accept them as settlement of debt.

They're just vouchers, basically.

They should print that on every Scottish note to save the great deal of time that is wasted on this debate.

They are legal tender if sterling is on them , until Scotland go independent we are obliged to accept Scottish notes , same as Northern Ireland and £50 notes , it amazes me that people are so wary of what is British currency x anyway to the Op , if you want to bring them to post office where I work I'll gladly change them for you if you're still worried about them :)

---------- Post added 24-07-2013 at 22:03 ----------

Sorry meant to say legal currency , not tender x

Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"?

The Bank of England says:

"In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales. ...

The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales.

Holders of genuine Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are provided with a level of protection similar to that provided to holders of Bank of England notes."

In England and Wales if both parties agree then goods and services can be exchanged using Scottish money.

If one party is not happy then the transaction can be declined.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

They are legal tender if sterling is on them , until Scotland go independent we are obliged to accept Scottish notes , same as Northern Ireland and £50 notes , it amazes me that people are so wary of what is British currency x anyway to the Op , if you want to bring them to post office where I work I'll gladly change them for you if you're still worried about them :)

---------- Post added 24-07-2013 at 22:03 ----------

Sorry meant to say legal currency , not tender x

I know Wikipedia isn't always 100% correct, but all should take heed of what they say about the UK position, see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender Scottish notes are NOT legal tender even in Scotland, but that's a matter more of semantics. They are treated as though they were.

Many years ago I worked in a bank in Northumberland. We got thousands of pounds worth of Scottish notes paid in. Local traders were more than happy to accept them. Because they got so many they were used to them.

In England most traders will take them, but it's totally at their discretion to do so. Smaller more nervous traders may be wary. There's a balance between wanting to make a profit on the sale, or take a very, very small risk of fraud. I can't recall ever encountering a fraudulent Scottish, Irish, Manx or Channel Islands note. Fraudsters generally concentrate on Bank of England notes, US Dollars, and Euros. Scottish notes are more likely to be genuine than English ones.

The OP shouldn't worry. Most places will take Scottish notes, but if you have doubts buy something in Northumberland and they'll give you English change that's acceptable everywhere - except on some buses early in the drivers shift!!!