Are Scottish notes legal tender and accepted in England?

Scottish notes ARE legal tender :rolleyes:

If it feels like money, it is, generally speaking. Much easier to spot a dud if you close your eyes ;)

If it feels like money, it is, generally speaking. Much easier to spot a dud if you close your eyes ;)

Notes issued by the Bank of England are not legal tender in Scotland. Bank of England notes are recognised as legal tender in England and Wales only. Needless to say, Scottish banknotes are not legal tender in England and Wales, and a trader would be perfecly entitled to turn down a Scottish banknote.

I wouldn't accept a Jock note in change, they are not legal tender in the UK anyway.

Isn't Scotland part of the UK. I'm pretty sure they are legal tender there.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.”

I have to disagree and you should check the Bank Of England website, Scottish banknotes are not legal tender in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, neither are English notes legal tender in Scotland unless both parties agree the monetary value. Best avoided, just bounce them back. Many places won't take them anyway!

I have to disagree and you should check the Bank Of England website, Scottish banknotes are not legal tender in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, neither are English notes legal tender in Scotland unless both parties agree the monetary value. Best avoided, just bounce them back. Many places won't take them anyway!

Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland & Bank of England notes aren't legal tender in England either. :huh: They have NI notes too (they're not legal tender anywhere either).

Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland & Bank of England notes aren't legal tender in England either. :huh: They have NI notes too (they're not legal tender anywhere either).

English bank notes are legal tender south of the border.

But as I quoted this is basically irrelevant.

Scottish notes are not legal tender. Not even in Scotland. However, they are legal currency (approved by UK parliament).

I know what you mean, I hate it when i get given a Scottish note in change from a shop, I just refuse because a lot of places won't take them. :P

Refuse to accept them, it might help put to bed this stupid myth that they have to be accepted as a form of payment.

Notes issued by the Bank of England are not legal tender in Scotland. Bank of England notes are recognised as legal tender in England and Wales only. Needless to say, Scottish banknotes are not legal tender in England and Wales, and a trader would be perfecly entitled to turn down a Scottish banknote.

In the UK, "legal tender" doesn't mean what a lot of people seem to think. It only means that you can settle a debt in court with it. It does not mean shops are obliged to take your cash and sell you something.