Man collapsed ignored by people

Slightly different but a few years ago I went to give blood in town on my dinner hour from work. For some reason I had a really bad reaction, everything started spinning, and I ended up sat on a bench crying and throwing up (I couldnt make it to anywhere else)

People were walking past and giving me awful looks, and 2 old ladies sat further down the bench actually tutted at me then got up and walked off.

I mustve been sat there for 5 or 10 minutes (doesnt sound long but felt like forever) before a lovely lady came out of Mothercare, took me into their staff room and got me cleaned up.

I dont really know what anyone couldve done earlier to help, but being avoided and looked at like scum made a horrible experience even worse.

Slightly different but a few years ago I went to give blood in town on my dinner hour from work. For some reason I had a really bad reaction, everything started spinning, and I ended up sat on a bench crying and throwing up (I couldnt make it to anywhere else)

People were walking past and giving me awful looks, and 2 old ladies sat further down the bench actually tutted at me then got up and walked off.

I mustve been sat there for 5 or 10 minutes (doesnt sound long but felt like forever) before a lovely lady came out of Mothercare, took me into their staff room and got me cleaned up.

I dont really know what anyone couldve done earlier to help, but being avoided and looked at like scum made a horrible experience even worse.

I guess we can all be a little bit judgemental at times.

I would also think that a lot of people are unsure what to do when they see someone having a certain reaction. There's a lot of people like myself with no medical training, so the fear is if you do get involved you could actually do more harm than good.

One of my friends is a diabetic and he had a diabetic fit at Morrisons in Hillsborough a couple of years ago that caused him to bite through his own tongue. He doesn't remember a thing about it, all he can remember was feeling faint and the next thing he woke up in an ambulance.

If I would have been there at the time I would have been useless, because I wouldn't know how to deal with a diabetic fit. I guess I would have tried to make sure he was on his side and then find someone else to help who may have some sort of medical training.

Regards

Doom

Just to add, there was nothing about this young man to suggest an alcohol problem (or perhaps being young these days makes it an automatic assumption)

Of course he may have been drunk but nothing we did elicited the slightest reaction, not so much as a twitch of the eyelids.

A city ambassador did walk past and appeared to make a call on his mobile or whatever, but perhaps he realised things were under control so didn't see the need to intervene.

I have to agree here, there has been so many times i have been in town and there are drunken, homeless folk just laying around clutching bottles of alcohol and you see it so much that you become oblivious to it... it doesnt mean that its not right, but unfortunately its just the nature of the beast... However, its good to know that there are decent people out there who will go and check out situations that others will walk passed... As for those who stand and stare!! go and get on with your shopping or whatever else you have to do, your even more useless than those who just walk by.

A few weeks ago I saw a gentleman sat on the floor opposite the old T.J.Hughes, he was covered by his coat, I got off the tram and asked him if he would like a drink, he asked for a coffee, I said are you sure, I don't mind getting you something stronger, but he wanted a coffee. I went to get him one and a tuna sandwich...no crusts his teeth were hurting him. The people that passed never looked at him, but stared at me like I was some kind of witch, I will never forget his beautiful blue eyes ..... x

A few weeks ago I saw a gentleman sat on the floor opposite the old T.J.Hughes, he was covered by his coat, I got off the tram and asked him if he would like a drink, he asked for a coffee, I said are you sure, I don't mind getting you something stronger, but he wanted a coffee. I went to get him one and a tuna sandwich...no crusts his teeth were hurting him. The people that passed never looked at him, but stared at me like I was some kind of witch, I will never forget his beautiful blue eyes ..... x

Good for you Chelle. You are obviously a very kind person. It's a great pity that there are not more like you.

It sounds like the same person who I saw collapse at the tram stop on infermary road last Tuesday. He was just stood wiating for the tram then he hit the floor and was out cold. We managed to bring him around and he said he was OK so we left him and got on the tram.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 14:05 ----------

The reason why people walk past and do nothing is because they might be scared of hurting someone if applying first Aid.

I don't know how you come to the conclusion it isn't relevant, it was the same area bar 100 metres, and they did head off that way. :huh:

Anyway for me violence is the last solution and i hope they guy gets whatever treatment he needs for a full recovery, i'm not out to judge anyone just offering my observations being in the area today, and witnessing what i did.

Very true, our thoughts go out to all the people who are laid face down and being ignored outside the Crucible!

It was not me in this case.

But I pass out just like that once or twice a year due to epilepsy.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 15:48 ----------

Taking medication all the time to keep things under control taking pills twice a day it takes very little for something to go wrong.

I am not the only person out there, there are a lot of other people (1 in 150).

Forget your pills, or the stomach does not work right, few hours later you are flat out.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 15:54 ----------

Are you aware that one of the potential presenting features of a diabetic hypo is apparent aggression and 'drunken wobbling'?

Or that many people who are having a stroke are disorientated, slur their speech and appear intoxicated?

I don't know and wouldn't like to judge because I wasn't there, but appearing drunk and being drunk are sometimes two completely different things.

EDIT- and even if he was just drunk, that doesn't imply that he wasn't ALSO in need of medical help.

Thank god there are still people who understand these things here.

Edited by dutch

How about other members thanking Minimo for being a good samaritan rather than commenting on the state of the guy, be it it own fault or otherwise?

How would you like it if you were temporarily disabled, for whatever reason, and no-one came to your assistance???

On reading the OP it doesn't say minimo helped, other than observe people who didn't help, but if he/she did help then well done :)

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 15:59 ----------

Whoops re read the OP and 2 people called the ambulance