Man collapsed ignored by people

Why are people scared to help someone passed out on the street?

They could be having a stroke.

It could also be a trap. The unwary good samaritan goes over to help the apparent victim and while he's distracted the "victim"'s mates step out from behind a bus shelter, give the samaritan a kicking and steal his wallet.

I don't get drunk and don't use drugs.

I can turn into an uncontrollable out of control insane looking person, to be interpreted by others as drunken inappropriate behaviour.

Still I have done nothing wrong for this to happen. It is a natural illness in my case and I am not the only one! People are too embarrassed to talk about it or acknowledge it.

I am only saying it because if it does happen maybe one day people realize that it is not always drugs or alcohol that makes these things happen.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 16:44 ----------

If people here think everyone that is behaving strangely or inappropriate has taken drugs or alcohol.

The level of intelligence and insight shall be just as low as that case when that officer was beating that girl in 2007 and filmed by cctv.

I read the Op's post differently then.

It reads to me that the OP got off the bus, checked, and summoned medical staff by ringing 999.

Those waiting (and getting on the bus) having done nothing but ignore the situation.

It kind of shows that Sheffield isn't the happy cheerful, with nice folks, place to be.

It does nothing of the sort since you weren't there and you don't know the full story.

Regards.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:17 ----------

Just to add, there was nothing about this young man to suggest an alcohol problem (or perhaps being young these days makes it an automatic assumption)

Of course he may have been drunk but nothing we did elicited the slightest reaction, not so much as a twitch of the eyelids.

A city ambassador did walk past and appeared to make a call on his mobile or whatever, but perhaps he realised things were under control so didn't see the need to intervene.

Or maybe he knew the gentleman well enough to not be too concerned.

Some people don't want to help, because they're scared of being sued, or because they don't want to get involved or because they're in a rush.

A few years ago in Sheffield I saw a man knocked off his motorbike. He was lying in the road and cars were driving around him. I went to help and was shocked that cars continued to drive around me while I was kneeling in the road making sure that he was still breathing. Only one other person stopped to help, and her contribution was to scream "don't touch him, don't touch him" at me.

When it's my turn to be lying in the middle of the road in trouble, I hope someone will stop to help me.

One thing I will say is that the 999 call handlers are fantastic. They will never ever object to anyone calling in a genuine emergency, and will talk you through what you need to do while you're waiting for help to arrive.

Some people don't want to help, because they're scared of being sued, or because they don't want to get involved or because they're in a rush.

A few years ago in Sheffield I saw a man knocked off his motorbike. He was lying in the road and cars were driving around him. I went to help and was shocked that cars continued to drive around me while I was kneeling in the road making sure that he was still breathing. Only one other person stopped to help, and her contribution was to scream "don't touch him, don't touch him" at me.

When it's my turn to be lying in the middle of the road in trouble, I hope someone will stop to help me.

One thing I will say is that the 999 call handlers are fantastic. They will never ever object to anyone calling in a genuine emergency, and will talk you through what you need to do while you're waiting for help to arrive.

You are making a good point here, more people need to overcome that fear to help someone while living in a community where accidents happen and people could need urgent help and assistance.

When I have a seizure It takes me 15 to 30 minutes to figure out where I am, what happened, what am I doing here, but I'll sort it out myself. Don't need any help from silly scared people walking around pretending there is nothing going on. Unless they genuinely want to help.

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 10:03 ----------

People with medical difficulties are degraded and treated like secondary inferior members of society, just like when black people were called xxxx in the 50's in America.

When someone does have a certain condition and the effects of this condition become visible to the outside world people are shocked, surprised, disgusted.

They rather pretend it does not exist than make contact and come closer to help.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
Offensive epithet snipped