Is Sheffield a friendly city?

This is the BBC Home Service..

Definitely one of the most friendly cities in the UK without a doubt.

It also has a good reputation among outsiders. I often get 'Oh I hear that's a great place to live' from people all over the UK when I say I live in Sheffield. :)

:hihi: It's an ok place I guess.

Depends where you live, I guess.

I moved here a year ago to be with my finace and have found it very friendly. I'm in S7 so a proper mix of white ex-grads, white w/c, and Asian (tho within 3 houses they're Pak, Bengal and Indian so very mixed too), local shop is Yemeni. We speak to loads of people nearby and have sparked up conversations with strangers that have become friends. Having a talkative and inquisitive small boy with you often helps too :)

We often leave back and front doors unlocked tho not while we're out of course.

I moved from Bradford, which always struck me as pretty polarised and miserable.

And I reckon it'd be quite different in Sheffield in an outer city place where everyone only goes out by car, or nearly everyone's old

I lived in Bradford for a while and found it a miserable place too - much prefer Sheffield.

Moved her 3 years ago We have really lovely neightbours who all look after each other. Not like Londfon were we moved from our neighbours were very unfriendly. Love Sheffield and its people.

I,ve lived all over sheffield,some areas most definatly better than others.Love it where i live the people are fab!

Miserable get!

In the 'Happiness Survey' that the Office of National Statistics did last year, Sheffield scored well above average. ;-)

Hey I said it's ok I haven't said anything derogatory but if you're an example of 'friendly!!!

I've read that again and it seems I misjudged your post, sorry!

Edited by Pie n ear

I lived in S12 for nearly 10 years, didn't even know my neighbours names. Moved up to S2 and before I'd got anything in the neighbours were over and talking. I can sit on my doorstep and chat, the neighbours kids/grandkids come round to play with my brood and we are all welcome at each others houses. There's always gossip over the garden fence and sharing of garden sheds etc.

I'd say Sheffield is pretty friendly, but often you get what you give too.

Good point! :D

I have to agree, some people prefer to be quiet I like to get to know neighbours and make friends, you never know when you could need each other.

People aren't as open as they were years ago, and attitudes have changed but good neighbours are a godsend. That does not mean I've always had them; but where we live we have been lucky, as we are like a little community, so to speak.

I also feel that if you are rude to someone, don't complain if they're rude back.