Menschen in Sheffield, 60s Documentary.

Like many ex-squaddies who served in Germany in the 70s and 80s, I too picked up the habit of watching "Dinner for One" at New Year's Eve, and I always enjoyed it.

What I never understood though is why Germans love it so much. It doesn't seem to be typical German fayre

Menschen in Sheffield is also known as Arbeitsclub (Workin Men's Club) in Sheffield, a reference obviously to the Dial House sequence. It would be great to see it, now that the club itself has gone

Commuter

Can you tell me which sat box this is. I have tried for years to pick up European channels.

Thanks in advance.

The Amstrad 400 decoder is one of the older analogue boxes which can pick up the German channels you mentioned; if you can find one.

Old thread reveied again, sorry :blush:

Also does any one have any photos of the club inside and out, from back in the days when it was in full swing ?

Edited by AKITA

ahhhh even though some is in german ?? lol that was interesting to watch old sheffield

dont you just love how we speak lol

thanks for that x

I watch Dinner For One every year and phone my German friends at the same time and we laugh together at it.Dont ask,it also puzzles me.As for watching German TV its worse than the rubbish we have here,believe me i have to watch it for two weeks every year.Iv'e not seen Menschen in Sheffield though but i'll mke enquiries with my friends.

I'd just like to add that I've lived in Germany since 1984 and I absolutely hate "Dinner for one", total crap.

Why the Germans make such a big deal out of it is beyond me !

I'd disagree that German tv is worse than the UK though, they don't have quite as much puerile dross such as strictly come dancing, x factor and other such rubbish (although they do have some of it).

German Sky is also better than the UK version, I pay 35 euros for all the films and sport and they show every single Bundesliga, 2 Bundesliga and German cup game live for instance.

Edited by Bayern Blade

Old thread reveied again, sorry :blush:

Also does any one have any photos of the club inside and out, from back in the days when it was in full swing ?

thanks for that really enjoyed it..

Last night I was given a copy of Menschen In Sheffield, a documentary by gerrman film maker Peter Nestler. Made in 1965, it shows ordinary folk at work, school, down the market, on busses and long segments featuring life at the Dial House Club.

Most of the club acts were great and one set of lads dressed as cavemen would give the Arctic Monkeys a run for their money.

The source of the film was the TV station 3sat.

Has anyone else seen it?

Im sure that group dressed as cavemen was Eric Winstone & the Flinstones

Edited by lazarus

I have come across your posts when doing some research on the internet about Sheffield working men’s clubs. The film will be shown at the Showrrom on 11 November 2012 at 3.30pm with the filmmaker Peter Nestler in attendance. It will be shown as “A Working Men’s Club in Sheffield”, which is the direct translation of the German title “Ein Arbeiterclub in Sheffield”, which is the title Peter Nestler intended for the film. “Menschen in Sheffield” is the title the commissioning TV station gave the film without consulting the filmmaker. It was nice to see that some people in Sheffield have already heard about the film and that there 2 articles in the Star about it, one more about the film, the other one focusing more on the Dial House Club. The film will also be shown in London on 9 November at 7pm. I see that the posts are quite old but hopefully you see this and can come. The film will be subtitled in English. I am new to this forum and can't include any links.

Edited by lowowl

I have a copy of this Menschen , it is only the first minute that is in German

the rest of it is in English so I don't see the need for subtitles.

If anyone wants to view it for free, it's on the sheffieldhistory site on the

Sheffield video forum.

Looking at it you would think it was in the fifties rather than the 1960s.

Flat caps, bingo and hoo those club turns.

Hi, yes that is Eric Winstone & the Flinstones the wife & I were in the club that monday night & we are on the film thats me the fresh faced young lad downing a pint ,my mother is also on the film wednesday night dance night, I think they spent about 2 weeks at the club filming .Those were the days a pint of stones was one shilling & seven old pence.

Hello, I will look out for you in the film.... Come along to the screening. It would be great to have some people there who actually attended the club.

Peter Nestler unfortunately had to cancel his visit to UK due to unforeseen circumstances. Hopefully, he will be able to come in 2013 and we can screen the film again with him there.