Sky+HD set up - help wanted

Just got a 2nd hand sky+hd box, trying to set it up with my tele, which doesn't have an hdmi socket, but I want the box for receiving anytime and i player services. I only have scart connection on my tv. I've got an ordinary sky+box, which works fine. When I connect the hd+ box I dont get any picture, the screen message tells me it is updating to the latest software which can take upto 10 minutes, then the tv screen goes all snowy after about 10 minutes, I have checked and rechecked all connections. I have also plugged my old sky +box back in and that works straight away no problem. I dont really want to go out and buy a new tv.

Any helpful ideas gratefully received

Is your TV HD ready ? . Also I think you have to contact Sky to activate your HD system . I found this out when I rang them for something else & they asked me at the time did I want them to activate HD .I didn't bother as you have to pay extra for it ,so I wasn't interested.

The TV isn't HD ready, but it should still receive the ordinary channels shouldn't it ? Or is that where I am going wrong ?

Yes it should let you get channels. On your handset ,if you press Services ,does that come on .

Is the telephone line and ethernet cable attached, it can't update otherwise.

The telephone line is connected, if I press services on the remote nothing happens because the picture is still snowy. The ethernet cable isn't connected but that would surely only affect the i player programmes, the problem is that after I get the initialising message and the message saying that sky is updating which can take up to 10 minutes, the screen then goes blank. If I plug my original sky +box back in, it works fine. So it would seem that I am connecting it up properly.

I would probably start going down the 'This box is knackered' avenue.

Sounds like you've been had.

You don't need a HD tv for it, it's just that you have the option of watching HD channels, do you have a sky subscription? Not sure if that would affect the update or not.

If you do have a subscription, the telephone line is connected, both coax's are connected at both ends and you still can't get it working I would assume it's fubar.

There is a hard reset, can't be 100% sure if this is right as I am having to go from memory:

Press sky on r/c, press and hold power until the power light goes red (I think), will go amber first (or vice versa) takes around 5 seconds, once this has happened press sky and it will / should reboot.

If that doesn't work then you've been had, probably find the HDD has been removed.

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 19:40 ----------

Also just to rule something out, how long are you giving it after the updating screen comes on, if it hasn't been updated for quite some time then it could be a pretty big download.

Thanks for your replies. I've left the update for more than 10 minutes. I've got my old sky+ box back on now. I will try a full system boot tomorrow. The box is obviously communicating something to my television otherwise I presume I wouldn't get the initial message on the screen.

Doesn't stop the box being knackered inside tho.

Have you got a recent viewing card, might be a problem there if the old viewing card can't decode the software update or something like that.

Your sky box has to be matched to your sky card . Phone sky and they will match them

you could try this.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-SkyHD-Sky-3D/Software-Update-How-to/ta-p/609798

It worked for me, after I purchased a sky + hd box, after using a normal sky reciever.

It did not require the phone line to be connected.

I did not pair my sky card to the new HD box. Though I know sometimes that is required.

The update did take a lot longer than 10 mins as i recall, and i thought i had bought a box too at first.

It too was connected to the TV via scart, though I never got a snowy picture during the update, just a blank screen towards the end of the update.Then the box went into standby.

Worth giving it another go. Nothing to loose.