Smoking Neighbor - Advise please

Some comments on this thread are saying if the man smokes something "illegal" (I presume they mean cannabis), something can be done about it. I thought you were allowed to possess cannabis for your own use now

Edited by chocki

The only way this problem will be fixed is:

1) Old man no longer lives downstairs, or;

2) You no longer live upstairs.

As you rent then if you can't deal with the stink of a smoker then regardless if you like your neighbours, move out. Move over the road if that's an option. No amount of fannying around, looking for gaps or laying out plastic sheeting will prevent what is a very pungent and unpleasent smell from wafting in. I expect you already know this and are slightly living in denial.

Don't encourage him to smoke less. The more he smokes the quicker he'll go.

Go around and visit him,plant some class A drugs in a drawer,call the cops,sorted.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 14:06 ----------

Some comments on this thread are saying if the man smokes something "illegal" (I presume they mean cannabis), something can be done about it. I thought you were allowed to possess cannabis for your own use now

No,they changed it back.

I stopped reading comments on the 2nd page so someone might have already mentioned this.

If he is a council tenant you can approach the council as he is causing a nuisance to his neighbours. Don't let the fact that he is an elderly gentleman sway you, its not as if you can approach him as you said due the fact he cannot answer the door. The council won't kick his door down and barge in with pitchforks and torches, they will approach him in a sensitive manner and find a way to sort the problem.

I won't be actively monitoring this thread so I won't see any replies, there are some people who make snide comments just to get a rise out of you.

I am a smoker myself and would hate to think that my habit was causing someone else distress in their own home. Good Luck and I hope you get things sorted.

Hi...Can someone maybe help with some ideas how I can tackle this situation. I will most likely get some nasty comments but honestly stuck.

The gentleman who lives downstairs is a chain smoker. I don't know what he smokes but it smells so bad. Worse than normal cigarettes.

The last month or so, the smell has just seeped through into our upstairs flat. Everything smells like an Ashtray.

Now here's the problem. He's an elderly gentleman, has not been out of hospital for long and suffered a server stroke (According to other neighbors) so he has carers come in 3/4 times a day.

I don't know how we can approach this or if there is anything we can do about it, but its truly horrible. Neither myself or my boyfriend are smokers so it;s not nice for us.

I know he is in his own home but, I'm unsure of what we can do about this. We are generally stuck and really looking for some help. The smell is just horrible! On the bedding, now in our clothes and towels. It's too cold to have the windows wide open and sick of spraying air freshener every 2 mins.

Again. Not looking for any hate messages and I know it seems that we are horrible people for bringing this up but its just horrible!!

Anyway...If anyone can help...please lemme know.

You mention he has suffered a severe stroke, shouldn't you be more concerned that he is living alone probably needing more help then he is receiving and that the smoking could be a potential fire risk?

I can sympathise with your apparent aversion to what he is smoking, but the way you describe the effects on you in your own home sounds a little exaggerated to me to say the least.

i would bung the holes up.

Him smoking down stairs wouldnt affect you at all unless there is some serious building issues.

I stopped reading comments on the 2nd page so someone might have already mentioned this.

If he is a council tenant you can approach the council as he is causing a nuisance to his neighbours. Don't let the fact that he is an elderly gentleman sway you, its not as if you can approach him as you said due the fact he cannot answer the door. The council won't kick his door down and barge in with pitchforks and torches, they will approach him in a sensitive manner and find a way to sort the problem.

I won't be actively monitoring this thread so I won't see any replies, there are some people who make snide comments just to get a rise out of you.

I am a smoker myself and would hate to think that my habit was causing someone else distress in their own home. Good Luck and I hope you get things sorted.

I doubt he's causing a nuisance in legal terms. If his tenancy agreement says smoking isnt allowed then maybe so. Otherwise the problem is the OP's to put up with or the landlord's to sort sort out if they want to keep the OP sweet.

Imagine if the problem was the smell of cooking spicy food permeating adjacent property. The smell of a guy smoking is no different. Im afraid its a put up or shut up job.

A suggestion but it's going to put up your heating bills is to positively ventilate your flat. This is assuming that it's actually smoke that's coming into your property rather than simply the ceiling of the flat below being so coated that it's the actual smell seeping through the structure.

As suggested, contact the council if that's the landlord and see if they could do something maybe along those lines. Is the landlord of your property the same as the landlord of the property downstairs?

I wonder if he is smoking dried tea bags. I have done it in the past before I packed up smoking,it was when I was made redundant and could not afford tobacco for my pipe.Not a bad smoke actually,but an awful smell.

He is perfectly entitled to smoke in his own home . Leave the poor bloke alone . Its coming to something when you cant even enjoy a cig in your own home without someone complaining. Us smokers cannot smoke in pubs anymore thanks to the health police so our own home is the one place we can relax with a beer and a smoke .

As long as he isnt smoking owt illegal , leave him be .

this needed to be said . well done .

I wonder if he is smoking dried tea bags. I have done it in the past before I packed up smoking,it was when I was made redundant and could not afford tobacco for my pipe.Not a bad smoke actually,but an awful smell.

That's made me lol :hihi: