What things are you old enough to remember?

The references to laundrettes and BW TV,both introduced during the late 1930s.Also the vagueness seemed to confer a certain antiquity to events.

But my early childhood memories are vague. But in order to avoid further confusion, I'm talking about the early seventies.

Going to the sweet shop with a copper penny and buying 4 blackjacks or 4 fruit salad chewies, or an arrowbar, stick of licquorice.

Going to the swimming baths for sixpence ( old sixpenny bit )

Going to The Star Picture House at the bottom of Ecclesall Road for 9 old pence.

Going in Redgates for my toys.

Remember neighbours being friendly and it being safe to leave your house door open !

Remember the 'Old Time' copper on the beat....if he caught you doing something wrong gave you a clip around the lughole.

Remember every Wednesday being the washing day and the old copper tub coming out, the clothes were put through a mangle.

Our corner shop had a machine outside where you could buy KP salted peanuts in a little box for 2p.

Staying up to watch Cassius Clay defend his World Title.

Edited by JOHN HABS

Having to get off your arse and walk over to the TV to change channel (to one of the other three).

our first telly had a knob you twiddled to change channels - there were only three at the time and the aerial was a long pointy thing sticking out the top that you also had to keep adjusting

i also remember twiddling with the horizontal and vertical hold but never sure if it made it better or worse

i remember renting our fist video recorder (although I was a fair bit older then and we'd progressed to a colour TV and four channels) - from Radio Rentals - and playing with the pause button and thinking the future had arrived

i remember when dime bars were called swisskits

going into pubs and buying alcohol and no-one caring how old i was (or at least no-one asked)

free milk at infants school

mick mccarthy playing in central defence at barnsley

Getting our first TV (in around 1960) and thinking it was great to have more than one channel! ;) And, there were only two then, BBC and ITV. ...

I remember Channel 4 popping up in 1982, so it was a choice of three channels for a while.

our first telly had a knob you twiddled to change channels ...

Our first tiny B&W portable TV had one of those; I do remember twisting through lots of snow and noise to find the channels, then going a bit further to find the channel that would recognise the breezeblock-sized bat and ball video game.

You had to push the channel button panel in on our early teles to expose the little tuning wheels, complete with a plastic pointer on a scale to indicate where on the tuning spectrum you'd twiddled to.

...i remember renting our fist video recorder (although I was a fair bit older then and we'd progressed to a colour TV and four channels) - from Radio Rentals - and playing with the pause button and thinking the future had arrived...

Our first video recorder had a wired remote control and a 'damp indicator' that used to flash for reasons entirely unconnected to dampness. The scrabbling about on your stomach in front of the tele to programme the damn thing was a bonus.

I remember when you had to pay extra for a remote control for CD players. My Pioneer CD player bought in 1990 (and which is still getting some use) doesn't have one. I remember going to stare longingly at the shiny Pioneer stereo equipment in the basement of Boots in the late 80s, particularly the one that was about three foot tall, £1000, and said hello to you when you turned it on.

And entirely unconnected to the above: Chelsea Girl on Fargate and Miss Siama (?) underneath Castle Market: white skirts, Choose Life t-shirts, pale denim and and pointy-toed stilettos.

Ooh, and bright blue mascara, white canvas boots (with that paint-on whitener that left white scuffs all over the school carpets) with shorts, and spraying your hair with hairspray until it had the texture and shinyness of plastic. Happy days.

our first telly had a knob you twiddled to change channels - there were only three at the time and the aerial was a long pointy thing sticking out the top that you also had to keep adjusting

Nowadays TV is full of "nobs" :hihi:

Classic Cinema Saturday matinee

Open backed buses

Coffee bars with juke boxes, and glass cups for coffee

People respecting their elders

No technology

This should strike a chord

TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter, milk from the cow, and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY , no video/dvd films, or colour TV

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating ..

We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education..

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Nowadays TV is full of "nobs" :hihi:

Classic Cinema Saturday matinee

Open backed buses

Coffee bars with juke boxes, and glass cups for coffee

People respecting their elders

No technology

This should strike a chord

TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter, milk from the cow, and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY , no video/dvd films, or colour TV

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating ..

We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education..

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

TRUE :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: